The Lopez trade is costing the O's wins

Three Run Homer

What is our record when leading after 7? I think I saw somewhere (maybe one of the game threads) we only have one or two losses. No idea whether that was before or after Jorge.

It is true that Baker in a tie game was not a great look but Watkins put on the first baserunner. For the most part the bullpen has gotten the job done. I am actually much more confident in Bautista as closer, and I don't think he has blown any while Jorge has blown a couple for the Twins. So from that standpoint trading Jorge has actually gained us a couple of wins. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Natty said:

Maybe this is the problem...

Team batting .237/.305/.391/.696 

Or maybe there is no problem.  .696 is just a hair under league average .699.   And when you break it down by month:

April .604 (league average .669)

May .691 (.698)

June .722 (.719)

July .712 (.718) 

August .735 (.686)

Basically, we had a crappy April and have been decent since then.  I’m not saying we couldn’t be better, but the offense is decent.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Or maybe there is no problem.  .696 is just a hair under league average .699.   And when you break it down by month:

April .604 (league average .669)

May .691 (.698)

June .722 (.719)

July .712 (.718) 

August .735 (.686)

Basically, we had a crappy April and have been decent since then.  I’m not saying we couldn’t be better, but the offense is decent.

Ask the Yankee fans how they feel their offense has been.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We are 16-9 during August.   13-0 when scoring 4+ runs, 3-9 when scoring 3 or less.   I’d say (1) the team is doing just fine, thank you, and (2) to the extent they’re losing sometimes, it’s because the offense is inconsistent.   Overall, they’ve played .640 baseball this month and that’s plenty good.   They’ve won their last three series.   Teams don’t win every game.  

100% this.  

It's been a great month.  It's been a FANTASTIC season, especially given what everyone's projections and predictions were coming in.  

I would pin some of the recent losses on the offense being inconsistent, too.  I liked Jorge Lopez as much as anyone else did but I think we sold high on him.  People are acting like we traded peak Mariano Rivera, I don't think that's the case at all.  

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Winning seems to have unleashed a lot of angst in bird land. 

This, too.  Some of these fans are acting like Yankees/Sox fans with the way they're upset about taking 2/3 from a team like the Astros.  

I had no idea that trying to get the last wildcard spot was such a stressful ordeal.  People on here, people on twitter are losing their minds even though this team has won the last three series and haven't missed a beat since trading Mancini and Lopez.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again here.  If this team wins a World Series in 5 games, there are going to be people that are pissed that they didn't do it in 4.  

• Upvote 3

We're also in high leverage games night in/night out.  Eventually any pen is going to give up some runs.  Khriebel will be alright, he's just going through a rough patch.  Baker has great stuff, but just is really inconsistent.  We have the horses for the middle innings, they just need to produce.  

On 8/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, LA2 said:

What about what we received for Mancini thrilled you? Not disagreeing: just curious.

I think the talent and potential of the guys we received was excellent for a guy who was only under contract for two more months. 

Lopez was under contract for next season and we got 4 guys who probably won’t amount to anything. 

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I think the talent and potential of the guys we received was excellent for a guy who was only under contract for two more months. 

Lopez was under contract for next season and we got 4 guys who probably won’t amount to anything. 

Cade Povich disagrees.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

We got something that may turn into at the least a mlb player for a guy they picked up for nothing. 
Pretty sure the Os won that one since they picked Lopez off the garbage pile to begin with. 

7 hours ago, dystopia said:

Until we bench Odor, I can’t say any trade is the reason we would miss the playoffs.

Povich looks like a #2-3 starter in the making.  Grayson (and hopefully Hall sticks) in 2023. Povich and Johnson in 2024.  I’ll take that as a pitching pipeline over what we’ve seen the past 5 years or so.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

We got something that may turn into at the least a mlb player for a guy they picked up for nothing. 
Pretty sure the Os won that one since they picked Lopez off the garbage pile to begin with. 

Why does it matter how we got Lopez?  Why is picking him off the garbage heap and getting him for free any different than getting Adley Rutschman for free? 

It’s not how you acquire them, it’s how you develop them.  That’s what matters.

• Upvote 1