Sunday, September 4: Orioles try to sweep the A's before the first big showdown with Toronto

SteveA

2 minutes ago, WillyM said:

IIRC, Mountcastle commented after a recent Sunday loss that it's hard to see the ball against the Camden Yards center field backdrop on bright, sunny days.

I don't know what other color they could paint the backdrop to make the ball easier to see.  Maybe the Orioles ought to resurrect the old Charlie Finley idea of using orange baseballs.

Oakland is seeing it OK.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It’s not over. Can’t get too down. It’s one game either way. 

Doubleheader tomorrow and of course it could be 4.5 out or 0.5 out by end of Monday .. 

Playoff teams sweep bad teams this time of season.. or they just will miss out.  Not 2/3.  This is not April. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Doubleheader tomorrow and of course it could be 4.5 out or 0.5 out by end of Monday .. 

Playoff teams sweep bad teams this time of season.. or they just will miss out.  Not 2/3.  This is not April. 

Sure we could be. Key is to hang around. No one game decides anything. I’ve seen too much in my life. 

In 87 I thought the Tigers were dead and the Jays collapsed the last week. Orioles who were awful even split 4 games in Detroit last week of season. 

Stay engaged in the race. Games are left. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think at $5 million he's an insurance policy that can go to the pen if need be. I'd rather not go into spring training with him penciled into the rotation. But I also don't want Trevor Rogers penciled in either.  He also could be a bridge until Bradish is ready.
    • So to all of you saying you would bring him back…. GRod, Eflin, Kremer, Felix, DC, Webb, Soto, Dominguez, Akin and Cano That leaves room for 3 more pitchers and this doesn’t include McDermott, Rogers or Povich. 3 spots left, 1 high end reliever and 2 starters. Which of those 3 spots do you want him at or, who do you take off the above list and keep Suarez over?
    • I went to a few games this year, but here are the reasons I didn't go to the WC games: The team had been an absolute bummer to watch for 3 entire months out of the season and to be honest by the time the playoffs got here I was exhausted and annoyed. The brand of baseball they had been employing for half the season (over-reliance on the home run, terrible ABs, iffy defense) frankly sucked to watch, even on TV, and I'm already spending money to watch them on TV. I wanted them to prove they could get past the WC round before I shelled out more money. I imagine a lot of people share these reasons with me. 
    • People whining about 41k attendance and blaming it on the city have no idea what they're talking about.  Why were there 47k+ of Game 1 against the Rangers last year? Did the city all of a sudden not matter then? It was also a day game. Alas, it was on a Saturday. And they had that locked up for awhile. Why has attendance went up YoY? Look at the Astros and the Brewers. They had *less* people at their G1 games. Is Milwaukee not a nice city? Is Houston not a nice city?  This is pretty simple. It was a day game during a weekday with crappy weather coming off a pretty lackluster performance going into the playoffs. And folks didn't know if there'd even be a home game until, what, barely a week before?  People like winners. Miami is an awesome city. They got a new stadium when it first opened. But guess what? That team stunk in fairly short order upon stadium opening and attendance tanked. 
    • Would love to bring him back on a 1 year deal for anywhere from $3-$7m.  Great depth arm. Don't pencil him into the 5th starter role. This club needs to pickup two starters: a TOR arm and a BOR arm. Have an open competition for the 5th spot. If Suarez doesn't make it, he'd be a great middle reliever arm. Open competition between Free Agent, Suarez, Povich, McDermott, and Rogers. Do not just go into 2025 penciling Rogers into any role. 
    • It's really tough to set a top priority when I don't know what the budget is. I think the new ownership group will be investing more than the previous regime, I just don't know by how much. I highly doubt the O's will ever be in the "spend whatever it takes mode" like the Mets a couple years ago or the standard yearly overspending by the Dodgers or Yanks. It's still tough to make my Christmas list without knowing the balance sheet. If we're the Dodgers, we keep Burnes and Tony Taters. Hopes and wishes it is then: Even if we sign Burnes, which I wouldn't mind at least making a run at him, I think we need another starter, because injuries and how this year went. Even if the Mountain returns healthy, we need high leverage help in the pen. Veteran bat - no idea who, but if Mullins and Santander leave, we will have to add someone -- I don't know that our prospects will be stepping up or stepping back next year.
    • What I like about Webb is he has an excellent changeup and can get LHB's out. Besides Felix, everyone else in the bullpen needs to be matched up. I think it is important to have another reliable guy who can be brought in to any situation. He is also cheap. I think he is too valuable to just give him away to another team. I like him better than Perez for sure. 
  • Popular Contributors