Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

Most scouts did not like Bautista's make up when he was here. Guess they were right.

True but regardless of Grimsley's performance, the steroid crap surrounding him and the Orioles that came from him being on the team pretty much clinched the move as being horrible...

Bautista was definitely sold low...

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides Florida tell me a team that has won a world series the past 10 or so years who did it by building from within.

When the Yankees were winning World Series after World Series the core was built from within with some FAs acquired to push them over the top. The Red Sox have a ton of home grown players on their roster. The D-Rays were in the World Series with a lot of home grown players. The idea is you build from within and add FAs to it. We aren't done building from within yet.

Don't take this as proof that I agree 1000% with everything AM does, cause I don't.

It's impossible to get better by doing nothing.

Really, I thought if we forfeited all of our draft picks and canceled spring training that would push us over the top. Same argument, different day. AM is doing things, just not the things you like, and quite frankly not the things I would like either. Difference between you and I is that you are being help captive against your will and I choose to watch college basketball while AM makes changes during the 2nd half of the off-season.

It's impossible to get better by doing nothing.

Not true at all, especially when a organization has a lot of young talent. Reference the Rays last year, and no, I'm not saying they did nothing, but even if they did, they would have been better than previous years by a wide margin.

And no, I'm not advocating doing nothing either, which of course the O's have done more than nothing anyway, and likely will do more before the off season ends.

I would trade a pitching prospect not named Arrieta, Tillman or Matsuz for say Ryan Shealy. No problem. The odds of more than 4 or 5 of out pitching prospects producing at an above average level is slim. Part of the prospect deal is being able to trade them for major league ready talent.
That could be a decent move I suppose.

Of course, Shealy is 29 next year and has a career OPS of about .765 in the bigs. I'm not sure giving up someone like Hernandez or Berken or Erbe for him is a smart move. Personally, if I'm trading away our good prospects, I'm going after someone with higher upside and that is younger. Not basically a poor man's Luke Scott.

More of this? Kind of silly, no? It's amazing how those who think objectively, analyze dispassionately and write clearly are lumped together as the "Kool Aid Drinkers" while the legions of folks who do none of that, but :drek::drek::drek: are somehow immune to the effects of this "brainwashing."

Tell me, who among the posters on this board would be most likely to swept up into a doomsday cult.* Is it the people arguing on my side? Or is it the people who feel it necessary to use that third exclamation point, just to drive their point home?

Frankly, I don't like the "Kool-Aid" reference much at all, seeing as it's based on the Jonestown Massacre, and the forced suicide of a lot of women and children. But if you're going to use it, maybe you should use it more accurately. I.e., take a good look in the mirror.

There is so much that is awesome about this post. I doubt seriously that Johnny is in significantly different from the others, whom you probably wouldn't be so curt with, who use that term. I personally don't, but only because I think it's silly.

Interesting way to convey your point and strengthen your argument. I disagree with much of what you've been posting lately. I guess I'll be joining a cult soon and killing myself. Yippee!

MacPhail has already said he's turning the Orioles into the Twins or Rays, what did you expect?

The fact that Peter Angelos passed on Mark Teixeira should speak volumes...

When did MacPhail say that? That is not true. Peter Angelos did not pass on Teixeira. Teixeira chose to go to the Yankees and turn down offers from the Red Sox, Angels, Orioles, and Nationals. Thick.

I would trade a pitching prospect not named Arrieta, Tillman or Matsuz for say Ryan Shealy. No problem. The odds of more than 4 or 5 of out pitching prospects producing at an above average level is slim. Part of the prospect deal is being able to trade them for major league ready talent.

Ryan Shealy, this is your brilliant move. He can't win a job with the Royals for crying out loud.

When did MacPhail say that? That is not true. Peter Angelos did not pass on Teixeira. Teixeira chose to go to the Yankees and turn down offers from the Red Sox, Angels, Orioles, and Nationals. Thick.

MacPhail in fact stated after Tex that the Rays were the model for a team to contend without spending loads of money.

Archived