Passan’s FA tiers

Sports Guy

We should add two quality SP, either through FA or trade, but we don't need any more back-end types.  Let Lyles go, and fill SP 3-5 with a combination of GRod, Kremer, Wells, Voth & Bradish, with Means coming back mideason.  We have a lot of depth here so we only need to be adding quality.  Kremer, Wells & Bradish all have options, so we're not going to have a roster crunch even if everybody is healthy.  I love the idea of having the depth to convert Bradish and Hall into RP for the stretch run if we don't need them as SP at that point of the season.  We should pretty much only looking at the FA SPs in tiers 1-3 in that list, and there's a lot of decent options there to pick up two of them.

Unless we feel very confident that Santander or Stowers can become a passable 1B in the offseason, we also need to be adding a 1B.  I'm not quite willing to give up on Mountcastle (although of course he's a good trade candidate if the value is there), but I don't think we should be locked in with him as the only real 1B option.  Adding a 1B gives us ability to have them and Mountcastle at 1B/DH with Santander in the OF, and I'm not fussed if it cuts into Mountcastle ABs to have Santander DH.  I love Josh Bell as this option - a bit worrisome that he's done so poorly in SD, but that's also going to bring his price tag to a more palatable level.  There's not a lot of intriguing FA after Bell so I think he could be a priority target.

Less important, but we also need a proper backup C so that we don't run Rutschman into the ground.  Preferably, a RH batter so we have more options to play matchups given Adley's weakness from that side this year.  I like Christian Vasquez for this - he is just good enough to probably be looking for a starting role, but hasn't been quite good enough this year to command one.

Lastly, there's also a lot of interesting veteran RP options, could be a decent value to add there.  We could benefit from another set up type so we can push Baker and Khrebiel out of higher leverage situations.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

We should add two quality SP, either through FA or trade, but we don't need any more back-end types.  Let Lyles go, and fill SP 3-5 with a combination of GRod, Kremer, Wells, Voth & Bradish, with Means coming back mideason.  We have a lot of depth here so we only need to be adding quality.  Kremer, Wells & Bradish all have options, so we're not going to have a roster crunch even if everybody is healthy.  I love the idea of having the depth to convert Bradish and Hall into RP for the stretch run if we don't need them as SP at that point of the season.  We should pretty much only looking at the FA SPs in tiers 1-3 in that list, and there's a lot of decent options there to pick up two of them.

Unless we feel very confident that Santander or Stowers can become a passable 1B in the offseason, we also need to be adding a 1B.  I'm not quite willing to give up on Mountcastle (although of course he's a good trade candidate if the value is there), but I don't think we should be locked in with him as the only real 1B option.  Adding a 1B gives us ability to have them and Mountcastle at 1B/DH with Santander in the OF, and I'm not fussed if it cuts into Mountcastle ABs to have Santander DH.  I love Josh Bell as this option - a bit worrisome that he's done so poorly in SD, but that's also going to bring his price tag to a more palatable level.  There's not a lot of intriguing FA after Bell so I think he could be a priority target.

Less important, but we also need a proper backup C so that we don't run Rutschman into the ground.  Preferably, a RH batter so we have more options to play matchups given Adley's weakness from that side this year.  I like Christian Vasquez for this - he is just good enough to probably be looking for a starting role, but hasn't been quite good enough this year to command one.

Lastly, there's also a lot of interesting veteran RP options, could be a decent value to add there.  We could benefit from another set up type so we can push Baker and Khrebiel out of higher leverage situations.

Nice to hear from you!   All good thoughts here.  We’ll see how much of this agenda Elias bites off.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice to hear from you!   All good thoughts here.  We’ll see how much of this agenda Elias bites off.  

Thank you! I started coming back this season - the 2017/18 seasons coincided with me being much busier going to law school, then my first few years as an associate...I've been lurking most of this year, but the offseason is what really gets me posting.  This is shaping up to be a really exciting offseason and absolutely critical for the direction of the franchise.  Can't wait to see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

My FA wish list if we’re actually trying to win the division,

Verlander

JD Martinez (We need him for LH SP, and Cowser might need another half year in AAA. There’s room)

Jorge Lopez if non tendered

Christian Vazquez (he’s worth the extra money over Chirnos and we probably won’t lose like we do when Chirinos starts )  

Maybe we don’t need Martinez, but it sure would be nice snag him if his market is low.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My FA wish list if we’re actually trying to win the division,

Verlander

JD Martinez (We need him for LH SP, and Cowser might need another half year in AAA. There’s room)

Jorge Lopez if non tendered

Christian Vazquez (he’s worth the extra money over Chirnos and we probably won’t lose like we do when Chirinos starts )

Maybe we don’t need Martinez, but it sure would be nice snag him if his market is low.

I really like the idea of spending for a decent backup catcher that can start 50 or so games a year.

I want Adley's bat in the lineup as much as possible, so I don't want him to be worn down by starting behind the plate 130 games a year.

My ideal workload for Adley is having him start 105-110 games at catcher and 45-50 or so between first base and DH with the occasional late game inning or two if the backup is pinch hit for.

Verlander would be a great option, especially since he won't require any draft pick forfeiture since he received and rejected a Qualifying Offer last year. It would be interesting to have a single player making 30+ percent of the payroll on a team that hopes to be competitive, but at least it would be a future Hall of Famer that is contributing instead of someone like Chris Davis.

I don't think we should spend on the bullpen and if we do add a bat I would prefer one with a little more flexibility than a DH only like JD Martinez, although it may not be required if Stowers, Santander, and/or Rutschman can serve as back-up first basemen.

• Upvote 1