Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Getz but am unsure of his value as a regular 2B'man. It appears that the O's are pretty fond of him, so I may be a little light in my research regarding his talents. Here is an excerpt from BA...

Weaknesses: Getz never had hit more than three homers in a season before getting 11 in 2008, when he was based in a hitter's park. While he occasionally pitched in relief at Michigan, some scouts question his arm, which limits him on the left side of the infield and on the double-play pivot.

The Future: With Alexei Ramirez moving to shortstop, Getz is the White Sox's best in-house option for second base in 2009. If his wrist limits his hitting in spring training, he'll open the season in Triple-A. Long term, he projects as more of a utilityman than a regular.

I like Getz but am unsure of his value as a regular 2B'man. It appears that the O's are pretty fond of him, so I may be a little light in my research regarding his talents. Here is an excerpt from BA...

I would expect his future as a 2B will depend on how much he hits. The HR's dont concern me at all.

He would still make a nice stopgap until a young 2B is ready to fill our hole.

I don't think anybody here thought he was going to be an All-Star, but for a year or 2 he could be our starting 2B then turn into a fine utility man.

Roberts was seen as a utility guy at one point. A platoon of Freel and Getz at 2B wouldn't be horrible for a year and both can leadoff.

Obviously MacPhail should find somebody better than Getz, but he can audition for the full time role in 2009.

Archived