Introducing the 2B FA "competition" for our depth

btdart20

I like this quote:

“Rougned Odor (29): The O’s have somewhat bizarrely given Odor 457 plate appearances despite poor defensive ratings (-9 DRS, -3 OAA) and a .211/.278/.366 slash that generally mirrors the .200/.270/.378 line he’s posted in 966 plate appearances since 2020.”

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I like this quote:

“Rougned Odor (29): The O’s have somewhat bizarrely given Odor 457 plate appearances despite poor defensive ratings (-9 DRS, -3 OAA) and a .211/.278/.366 slash that generally mirrors the .200/.270/.378 line he’s posted in 966 plate appearances since 2020.”

They fail to mention how adept he is at turning double plays...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Man, this year's crop of FA 2Bs is seriously one of the most anemic FA classes for a particular position that I have ever seen. Assuming Philly declines his $17 million club option (which is very likely but not even a complete certainty), there is exactly one guy who has a sustained track record of legitimately above average production, Jean Segura, and he is ~33 and coming off a solid but somewhat down year by his prior standards. After that, there is one guy coming off a good year but with very little prior track record, Brandon Drury, and then it's pretty much all downhill from there. I suppose a team could sign a big money FA SS like Xander or Trea to play 2B if they are open to switching positions, but that would be a pretty inefficient use of resources for most teams. Or they could sign a SS and move their current SS over to 2B if they can afford to/are willing to pay market rates for a quality everyday SS.

In light of all of that, I wonder if some of our potential IF excess, like Urias, Mateo, Westburg, and Ortiz, might fetch a fair amount more in trade from a MIF-needy team than they would in an offseason where there are at least a couple of fairly attractive everyday 2B options. Hopefully Elias can cash in on the situation, whether that be in the form of immediate help for the big league club or more prospects to keep the future talent pipeline pumping. Either way, we definitely seem to be in a strong position heading into the offseason.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Previewing The 2022-23 Free Agent Class: Second Basemen - MLB Trade Rumors

The list is pretty lackluster...  It has to help the trade value of our guys.

It seems like Philly would be a prime target for trading one of our middle infielders.  Philly has way more money than the O's, but I can't see them wanting to spend $17 mill on Segura. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I firmly believe Elias is attempting to build a package around Mountcastle and Kjerstad w/ 2 to 3 lesser valued pieces in exchange for a good starter
    • And here is the coverage map to determine if Fox is airing out game where you live:  https://506sports.com/mlb.php
    • We probably need to consider who we want facing Soto out of the pen. We need a Soto stopper. https://stathead.com/baseball/versus-finder.cgi?player_id1=soto--003jua&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_source=br&utm_campaign=2023_01_player_innernav_stathead&__hstc=107817757.2f3f33a24b44870ec4a577029c49e44b.1699920000170.1699920000171.1699920000172.1&__hssc=107817757.1.1699920000173&__hsfp=966217318 Those are his career stats versus all pitchers. He tunes mostly everyone up pretty good. Some lefties stand out though. More as SP though. Just something to think about for what it seems is an inevitable playoff showdown. 
    • So I’ve spent a bunch of time of Suarez’ BBref page and it’s fascinating.  17 seasons of baseball all over the world in an a ton of leagues (APPY, NYPL, MIDW, GULF, FLOR, VEWL, SOUL, TL, NL, PCL, CALL, ARZ, JPEL, JPCL, KBO, IL, AL) The thing I’ve noticed is that he is incredibly consistent.  In all those 17 seasons: 1. His total era in all 17 years is 3.60 (3.81 MLB, 3.71MiLB, 3.45 Foreign) 2. His total H9 is is 9.0 (8.4MLB, 8.9MiLB, 9.1 Foreign) 3. His total HR9 is 0.7 (.9MLB, .8MiLB, .5 Foreign) 4. His total BB9 is 2.7 (3.0MLB, 2.5MiLB, 2.8 Foreign) 5. His total k9 is 7.0 (6.8 MLB, 6.7 MiLB, 7.7 Foreign) He’s done that pitching  quite a few innings (175MLB, 636MiLB, 676 Foreign) For comparison sake this year he is 2.43era, 7.9H9, 0.2HR9, 3.3BB9, & 6.8K9.  His H9 & HR9 are down a good bit resulting in the lower era.  The BB9 is up slightly and the k9 is right at his career average.  I see some regression  in his future as the HR9 returns closer to career avg. but I don’t see him completely falling off a cliff.   Hes not going to over power you but you know what your going to get.  I find it pretty incredible how he’s maintained a very consistent output of performance throughout his 17 years.  Not a lot of peaks and values.  That has a ton of value.  Glad to see him have some success in the later part of his career.  Easy guy to root for.   
    • Cowser has shown his defense is good in center too.  Robert strikes out more than Cowser and I don’t see wasting resources on him.  I can’t image the orioles would want him.
    • Definitely a potential up/down righty on righty option behind Tate. Definite 40 man add this off-season if he keeps it up.
    • Ah yes the good old days of tickets printed on paper product.
  • Popular Contributors