Bautista done for year, pending move

eddie83

The young man had a hell of a rookie campaign. Without going back and looking, Greg Olson is the only other rookie who I can think of who was able to dominate as a closer as a rookie for the Orioles for an extended timeframe.

I still remember watching him after he started to put up his eye popping numbers at Frederick, but I was skeptical until I watched that first video. When the announcer said, that was 100 MPH, I was like, what? 

Then I watched and batters had no chance. His command wasn't great and he's come a long way even since last year in that department.

My favorite story was when he threw 100 MPH fastball that buzzed a right handed hitter up by the head that sent him spiraling backwards. The hitter was so shook up by the near miss, the trainer had to come out and talk to him.

In all my years or watching baseball at every level possible, I've never seen a trainer need to be called for a hitter who was only nearly hit, not hit. lol

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I must say, there are a lot of guys on this team that I worry about next year.

Bautista is one of the guys I don’t worry about too much.  The only thing that potentially worries me is will the command issues come back.  

Hes a big guy, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see him have some mechanical issues.

But overall, I’m expecting him to be really good next year.

His year concludes with a K-BB% of 26 over 65.2 IP, placing him about 15th MLB-wide, near Josh Hader, Evan Phillips and Raisel Iglesias.

The monthly measurements ran 14-22-21-43-34-13, as it looks like he ran out of gas a little bit towards the end after a couple scintillating months as nearly the best guy in the game, non-Edwin Diaz category.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Great year for Bautista and I’m glad they shut him down rather than risking injury. I have a lot of confidence whenever he takes the mound. In addition to his great stuff, he’s an intimidating presence on the mound and it never feels like the moment is too big for him.   I’m looking forward to having him as our closer the next few years.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Great year for Bautista and I’m glad they shut him down rather than risking injury. I have a lot of confidence whenever he takes the mound. In addition to his great stuff, he’s an intimidating presence on the mound and it never feels like the moment is too big for him.   I’m looking forward to having him as our closer the next few years.  

That's the "it" factor that makes great closers. I agree, he never seems shaken, even if he gives up a run or walks a guy. His ability go to the splitter or even the slider at times in fastball counts really made him that much more unhittable at times. He's a great development story for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1