Mateo Wins Fielding Bible Award

Sydnor

Congratulations, Jorge!

The article from Roch listed the panel that awarded the FB awards.

“A panel of 15 baseball “experts” handled the voting, ranking the top 10 players at each defensive position, including a spot for multi-position players, on a scale from one to 10. A first-place vote counted as 10 points, second-place as nine, third as eight, etc.

None of the 2021 winners repeated this year.

The voting panel consisted of SIS chairman John Dewan and baseball stat pioneer Bill James, along with Emma Baccellieri (Sports Illustrated), Dan Casey (SIS), Chris Dial (sabermetrician), Alyson Footer (MLB.com), Peter Gammons (The Athletic), Moses Massena (MLB Network), Eduardo Pérez (ESPN), Hal Richman (Strat-O-Matic), Travis Sawchik (The Score), Bobby Scales (SIS), Joe Sheehan (longtime writer), Mark Simon (SIS), and the SIS Video Scout staff.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mateo-gets-glove-love-with-fielding-bible-award

A few interesting names there. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, wildcard said:

Only watch this if you want to smile.

Thanks for sharing this. He was incredibly fun to watch in 2022.

This video reminded me that: Jorge is very very good, Mountcastle has improved a great deal at 1B, and Kudzu cannot cover as much ground as Mateo. 😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

GG aware has been a joke for years. The year Ripken lost it when he made 3 errors in 161 games at SS was the last year I gave any care about the award.

For me it was Rafael Palmeiro winning the gold glove award at 1B in 1999 when he played only 28 games at 1B.

Palmeiro won the GG in 1997 and 1998, so it was the sports writers being lazy and checking off his name without looking at the stats in 1999. 

I didn’t have much respect for the GG before then, but that’s when it became a total joke for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

GG award has been a joke for years. The year Ripken lost it when he made 3 errors in 161 games at SS was the last year I gave any care about the award.

Well, Ripken did win the two years after that, at least.  

Guillen beat Cal the year you are talking about, 1990.   He did have a very good year by the (not then available) advanced metric Rtot, at +13.   But Cal was significantly better, at +22.

39 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Ramon Urias tied Manny Machado in votes on Fielding Bible.

He was named the second best (defensive) third baseman in the AL.

He looked very smooth and solid at third base. If Mateo is the SS and Gunnar and one of the prospects win 2nd and 3rd, Ramon Urias is going to be a fantastic utility player.

Edited by LA2

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

For me it was Rafael Palmeiro winning the gold glove award at 1B in 1999 when he played only 28 games at 1B.

Palmeiro won the GG in 1997 and 1998, so it was the sports writers being lazy and checking off his name without looking at the stats in 1999. 

I didn’t have much respect for the GG before then, but that’s when it became a total joke for me. 

The Gold Glove awards need to be sorted into before 2013 and 2013 to the present.  In 2013 they made some significant changes where they fixed some of the more egregious problems of the past, including publishing a list of eligible players (fixes the Palmeiro problem, he wouldn't have been on the list of 1B), included some subject matter experts in the voting in addition to coaches, included some metrics which incorporated things like UZR or DRS. Clearly better than the earlier system, but with the advent of Statcast it's once again fallen behind state-of-the-art.

Prior to 2013 it was a mess.  I've read that the Rawlings people would go to the various managers/coaches at some point late in the year and more-or-less just ask them to write down who they thought the best fielders were that year in their league. Maybe they'd give them a blank ballot and ask them to send it back, or they'd come pick it up. Many people would delegate the responsibility to some member of the coaching staff.  There would be no accompanying material at all.  For most of the history of the award there wasn't even Baseball Reference, so if anyone wanted to use metrics... good luck.  I guess you could find a copy of the Sporting News with assists, errors, double plays, and putouts, for whatever good that would do.  There were no lists of eligible players, so inevitably a Palmeiro would happen.  And the system was what's called an "open plurality" vote where the winner is whomever gets the most votes, even if that was 15%. In Palmeiro's case let's say there were 30 voters, he may have gotten seven, a couple other guys got six, a few got five... so he won despite 23 of the 30 voters not voting for him.  And we know that the largest determinant of winning this year was whether or not you won last year.

In one of his books about 2000 Bill James was very critical of the old system and said that it had some things in common with primary elections, and that if you ran an election like the did the Gold Gloves you'd eventually get a complete nonsense result like Warren Beatty or another famous person we won't name here as President.  

Edited by DrungoHazewood