Mateo Wins Fielding Bible Award

Sydnor

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone here use that term.  We do discuss who did win/should win/should have won the FB award, but I’ve never seen anyone toss out “Fielding Bible caliber” as a substitute for “Gold Glove caliber.”   Maybe they should.  

Not the expression, just we are aware of the award.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m gonna saddle @Frobbywith some more research since I wouldn’t know where to look and he also seems to have a lot of time on his hands…

I’m curious as to how often someone like Mateo has won a FB award but was not even nominated for the GG? 

I'll help (a very little amount)

https://fieldingbible.com/the-winners.asp

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone here use that term.  We do discuss who did win/should win/should have won the FB award, but I’ve never seen anyone toss out “Fielding Bible caliber” as a substitute for “Gold Glove caliber.”   Maybe they should.  

All I know is that Curt Blefary was Fielding Bible caliber, but Nick Markakis clearly and obviously wasn't.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m gonna saddle @Frobbywith some more research since I wouldn’t know where to look and he also seems to have a lot of time on his hands…

I’m curious as to how often someone like Mateo has won a FB award but was not even nominated for the GG? 

It appears that the Fielding Bible is voted on without any hard standards, while the GGs switched somewhere around 2013 or 2014 to a system that includes some metrics.  But the metrics don't include any Statcast data, which are more accurate and pretty clearly show Mateo to be the best SS in the AL.  I think it's likely that the Fielding Bible voters took OAA into account.

I applaud the GGs for finally improving on their broken system, but it took them less than a decade to fall behind the curve again.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This could take a while.  The practice of announcing Gold Glove “finalists” at each position apparently began in 2011, so there’s 12 years of history on this.  So far as I can see, there’s no one spot on the internet that lists all the finalists year-by-year.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Christian Walker won at 1B.

Walker put on a show defensively this season, leading all first basemen with 17 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) and 14 Outs Above Average (OAA). No other first baseman had more than five DRS or four OAA.

Walker's extremely good stats. Late-bloomer: break-through year was age-28 season (2019).

17 minutes ago, sevastras said:

How can this award even have any merit if Jeter never won one?

I suspect that the FB awards were probably created because of Jeter.   The first year of those awards (2006) was Jeter’s third straight year winning the GG.  In those three years:

2004: +5 Rtot, -13 Rdrs, -0.8 UZR

2005: -5 Rtot, -27 Rdrs, -15.0 UZR

2006: -4 Rtot, -16 Rdrs, -7.3 UZR

He also won in 2009-10.   I had to laugh when I looked up the Wikipedia entry on the Gold Glove awards and read this:  “Derek Jeter, winner of five Gold Gloves, believes that many defensive factors cannot be quantified.”   Yeah, Derek, I bet you believe that.  

• Haha 1