SP Trade Targets Compared

Aristotelian

I think guys like Mullins, Santander and Mountcastle have decent value and can be used as a headliner to get a pitcher.  Add a Prieto or a Mayo plus a lottery ticket and if it matches a teams need then maybe that works.  My concern in trading from our upper tier prospects is I don't think we know enough about any of them to know who may blow up and be a superstar.  Trading a guy like Ortiz or Norby now because we have depth doesn't mean these guys may be the best of all our prospects and now they are gone.  Who knows, Holliday may be a bust, are we saying we can trade Ortiz because Holliday is coming in a couple years?  

If we were 1 piece away and the window was closing I could stomach trading our top minor league talent, but I just think it may still be a year early to do that until you know more what you have.

8 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

You seem to like Gallen a lot. Arizona negotiates with you and says Holliday plus one other decent prospect. You say no?

What has Holliday done besides being our #1 draft pick? He is not a sure thing. Many wanted Dru Jones as our pick. 

That is one of the deals I proposed. I think it's fair. Three years of Gallen would be just what we need. Not gonna lie, I'd be tempted and if Elias makes that deal I'd be excited to see how it plays out. My dream deal would be Hall+ for Singer. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd actually put Holliday on the off-limits side of the line. 

100%

Maybe even 110% lol.

14 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

What has Holliday done besides being our #1 draft pick?

Hit .297/.489/.422 with 25 walks and 4 SBs in his first 20 games as a professional at only 18 years old.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

You're right, what a geek. If we hurry up so that his value doesn't completely crater, maybe the Nats will trade us Patrick Corbin for him.

Might be able to do a bit better than that.  Maybe get someone that knows how to pitch to contact so he can go deep into games.

I like Holliday well enough but I'm afraid he's too scared to swing the bat in those tough situations.  That kind of attitude can work in the minors but not in the show.

3 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

The real experts over at the Athletics have us listed amongst the best fits for many of these free agents. Rodon predicted to get five years for 144 million. 

https://theathletic.com/3752188/2022/11/04/mlb-free-agents-contract-team-predictions/?amp=1

Funny how they have deGrom and Verlander as a fit for the O's but not someone like Bassitt.

I would also love to see statistical evidence showing how the style of shift being outlawed cost Rizzo 30+ points in batting average.

23 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

>Nathan Eovaldi

Eh, better than nothing I guess.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might be able to do a bit better than that.  Maybe get someone that knows how to pitch to contact so he can go deep into games.

I like Holliday well enough but I'm afraid he's too scared to swing the bat in those tough situations.  That kind of attitude can work in the minors but not in the show.

Good point, maybe the D'backs would be willing to part with MadBum for Holliday if we toss in Hall or Mayo.

6 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Rodon predicted to get five years for 144 million. 

That has "oopsie" written all over it lol.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny how they have deGrom and Verlander as a fit for the O's but not someone like Bassitt.

I would also love to see statistical evidence showing how the style of shift being outlawed cost Rizzo 30+ points in batting average.

I agree that Bassitt would be a fit. I actually like him over the DeGrom and Verlander deals. Verlander and Scherzer are workhorses but when do they run out of steam. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'm just saying, Holliday is the reigning first overall draft pick and a legitimate 5 tool prospect at a premium position. He should be viewed as a core building block until he proves that he isn't.

I’m not advocating for trading him. I’m indifferent ultimately, but my whole point was leaning towards not trading anyone. That list was just infield depth in the system that you could potentially trade from without creating a position of need. Holliday would be at the top of the list in value.