Who do you NOT want the O's to sign/trade for?

btdart20

1 minute ago, Camden Yards said:

Based on this list, the only one I would even consider would be JD Martinez. He might take a one year prove it deal. I prefer trading Mountcastle and upgrading with Abreu or Rizzo. When Abreu or Rizzo are playing first, it gives us flexibility for Adley or others.

When Abreu or Rizzo are at DH, then I am using Stowers, Westburg, Santander, or Adley at 1B.

If we don’t trade Mountcastle and acquire Abreu or Rizzo, then they are rotating. 

Mountcastle was better defensively than Rizzo in 2022 and does not have recurring back problems like Rizzo, and Rizzo will most likely have the QO attached to him so signing him would give the Yankees one of our highest draft 2023 picks.

16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Good point here.

Giving high draft picks to divisional rivals for good but not great players like Rizzo or Eovaldi would be the height of foolishness, IMO.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Mountcastle was better defensively than Rizzo in 2022 and does not have recurring back problems like Rizzo, and Rizzo will most likely have the QO attached to him so signing him would give the Yankees one of our highest draft 2023 picks.

Giving high draft picks to divisional rivals for good but not great players like Rizzo or Eovaldi would be the height of foolishness, IMO.

Well don’t get wet before it rains. Let’s see if he gets a QO. If he does, then I would not want him. 

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Well that’s silly. 

I don’t think he’s an upgrade. I’m addition to the significant power decline, he also had an unusually high BABIP, despite striking out a career low rate. I could easily see a .270/.340/.400 line in year 1 of a 3 year contract in our monster LF. 

Well in your worse case scenario he would be an upgrade to what we did offensively last year. A lot of bad numbers on there. You still didn’t answer whether we need an offensive upgrade or does it come from our farm system. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2022.shtml

43 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Based on this list, the only one I would even consider would be JD Martinez. He might take a one year prove it deal. I prefer trading Mountcastle and upgrading with Abreu or Rizzo. When Abreu or Rizzo are playing first, it gives us flexibility for Adley or others.

When Abreu or Rizzo are at DH, then I am using Stowers, Westburg, Santander, or Adley at 1B.

If we don’t trade Mountcastle and acquire Abreu or Rizzo, then they are rotating. 

Don't limit yourself to the list of player I don't want.  Who do you not want us to bring in?

2022-23 MLB Free Agents - MLB Trade Rumors

26 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Well don’t get wet before it rains. Let’s see if he gets a QO. If he does, then I would not want him. 

It would be pretty surprising if he didn't.

22 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Well in your worse case scenario he would be an upgrade to what we did offensively last year.

If that is your criteria, we could probably get Evan Longoria and his 1/$13 million option from SF for a bag of balls. He put up a .767 OPS in 2022.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It would be pretty surprising if he didn't.

If that is your criteria, we could probably get Evan Longoria and his 1/$13 million option from SF for a bag of balls. He put up a .767 OPS in 2022.

I thought the goal was to upgrade our team. That is the only criteria I am using. Mountcastle and Hays go through long stretches of terrible at bats! I’m hoping Abreu takes his spot. If Cowser is ready or will be ready soon that’s the OF replacement we need.
If you like Longoria go ahead and get your bag of balls together. You probably wouldn’t need many and maybe could use some used ones.

1 hour ago, Camden Yards said:

Well in your worse case scenario he would be an upgrade to what we did offensively last year. A lot of bad numbers on there. You still didn’t answer whether we need an offensive upgrade or does it come from our farm system. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2022.shtml

I’d prefer someone like Brantley, who we don’t have to commit to a lot of playing time. I’d also target a RH that hits LH well, as that was a big problem last year. I think most of our offensive upgrades come from within, but would look for the right bat at the right price. I’d rather have someone like Westburg playing 1B on occasion, and rotating current players through the DH spot than sign a permanent DH like Abreu. 

• Upvote 1

I came into this thread after the OP with the idea that I don't think there's anybody that I vehemently do NOT want the Orioles to sign and then people were saying Odor and that changed my mind. 

It's all circumstantially. Some are saying no to the likes of Correa and Turner and I get the thought process and probably agree UNLESS we deal from the infield prospects to acquire a top end starting pitcher. If we trade away Westburg and Mateo (for instance--though the names could be different--along with other pieces) in a deal then I would be on board with Correa or Turner for SS, Henderson at 3B and Urias at 2B until Norby or Ortiz prove ready.  

With the expected price point caveat, there may be a few other names added to the list (namely mid-or-below range SP). 

All in all, what I'm most excited to see is the direction the Orioles go. There are SO many options given the apparently payroll flexibility and plethora of young position player options ready now (and/or in the near future). 

Call me crazy but no thank you to the SS market and DeGrom. We’ve got a plethora of infield prospects on the way, I’d prefer them to spend the money elsewhere. And DeGrom spends too much time on the IL to justify spending $35m+ per year on. 

Of course, if they sign Correa and DeGrom I won’t be losing any sleep. I just think it’s a waste of resources.