Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

Sounds like it is a top 3 pitcher, minimum, with potential for a second #4/5. Which makes sense with what Elias has said. Sounds like they expect GrayRod in the rotation. Hall has a shot. But then there's Kremer, Bradish, Wells. Not to mention Voth, Watkins, etc. And means midseason. We're in a really good spot where we'll need to bump a good pitcher from the rotation if we add 2 guys. I'd love to add a FA SP - and then package 1 of Kremer/Bradish/Wells for another pitcher.

What I'm most intrigued by is Elias saying his wants to add 2 bats. Gotta think the main places we can improve are 2B/LF/DH. I'm intrigued by who he'll go after.

Regardless, this is really excited. Most excited off-season we've had since at least 2014...maybe since '96..

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Sounds like it is a top 3 pitcher, minimum, with potential for a second #4/5. Which makes sense with what Elias has said. Sounds like they expect GrayRod in the rotation. Hall has a shot. But then there's Kremer, Bradish, Wells. Not to mention Voth, Watkins, etc. And means midseason. We're in a really good spot where we'll need to bump a good pitcher from the rotation if we add 2 guys. I'd love to add a FA SP - and then package 1 of Kremer/Bradish/Wells for another pitcher.

What I'm most intrigued by is Elias saying his wants to add 2 bats. Gotta think the main places we can improve are 2B/LF/DH. I'm intrigued by who he'll go after.

Regardless, this is really excited. Most excited off-season we've had since at least 2014...maybe since '96..

2003-2004 offeason.

15 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I will be excited when they actually make moves.   In the past, I’ve found some of the offseasons where we expected a lot of dramatic moves to be somewhat frustrating, when the moves either didn’t happen or we settled for consolation prizes.   So, I’m not getting ahead of myself this time.  I’m far more interested in what we might do than in the previous 3 offseasons, but I won’t actually be excited until something happens that’s worth getting excited about.  

23 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I think this is an interesting point as well and may very well point more to us trading for the pitcher rather than signing the pitcher in free agency. We may be in on the Bassitt level starter in free agency, but the fact the he called out someone to definitely slot in the top-3 likely means someone higher up than a Lyles, but not as high as a Verlander or even Rodon as Rodon given what he did the last two years would slot easily at the very top. He gave some wiggle room to show top-3 so it is likely more of a question mark if he's better than the other guys and considering the other guys after G-Rod are Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Hall, Voth, etc. that doesn't really commit to a real TOR arm even though we expect a lot from Rodriguez and some of the others had very good years last year. 

Back to the point...

I could see a trade with Miami for a Pablo Lopez type that includes someone like Santander or Mountcastle or someone else which would, in turn, open up an additional spot for them to add a bat. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I will be excited when they actually make moves.   In the past, I’ve found some of the offseasons where we expected a lot of dramatic moves to be somewhat frustrating, when the moves either didn’t happen or we settled for consolation prizes.   So, I’m not getting ahead of myself this time.  I’m far more interested in what we might do than in the previous 3 offseasons, but I won’t actually be excited until something happens that’s worth getting excited about.  

Good post.

I think for me, its getting a bit old to hear words, with no substance.

Walk the talk or shutup, is where I am at.

Its not that I dont respect Elias and his ability to do the job.

Its how hand tied is he? This lowest payroll in MLB is unjustified to me the fanbase.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good post.

Its how hand tied is he? This lowest payroll in MLB is unjustified to me the fanbase.

You missed a team.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That would disappoint me for sure.  

I think there's a scenario where Hall ends back in the AAA rotation where I am not disappointed. As you noted, we need to see if he's a start or a back-end reliever. He'll the chance to start in spring training, but there's a lot of competition. If he struggles and gets sent back to AAA early or as a result of those struggles, then yes, that's disappointing. But, if he looks good, shows he can be a starter and gets sent back to AAA to keep stretched out as the next-man-up simply as a result of a numbers game, then I have no issue with it because in that case, we likely signed a solid top(ish) end starter, Grayson Rodriguez probably earned his way on the roster, and at least three of the Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Voth collection outpitched Hall in spring and if Hall pitched well, but still got outpitched, I'm feeling pretty good about him and the team's pitching depth. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I understand the self-preservation, but not this guy...  I'm getting excited.  I'm enjoying the ride for all it's worth.  If I'm disappointed, so be it.  That's part of life.  This is the first off-season we've had in a while and the first off-season under Elias where we're actually in a spot to do some building.  Let's gO!

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good post.

Again, I understand the self-preservation, but not this guy...  Elias has taken steps/executed on everything he has said.  He has generally done what he's said.  He's done well managing the process, letting the outcome/results happen, and evaluating/adjusting on the results.  He's clearly anticipating some good things this off-season.