Rosenthal: Angels looking to upgrade SS, not likely to get any of the big 4 FAs

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/3971929/2022/12/05/mlb-free-agent-news-verlander/?source=user_shared_article

• The Angels are looking to upgrade at shortstop and remain in position to spend, but their immediate focus is a back-end reliever.

At the moment, the Angels’ options at short are Andrew Velazquez, Luis Rengifo and David Fletcher. The big four shortstops — Turner, Carlos Correa, Bogaerts and Dansby Swanson — are more likely to join clubs in better position to contend

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This could be a destination for Mateo. 

They got 1.1 fWAR out of their SS in 2022.

If they aren’t going to get one of the big FAs, what is out there that is better than Mateo?

Do they have anything worthwhile to give us in a trade? Mateo is clearly a fit for them, sure, but he's also one of the reasons (according to Ken) that Gibson signed here ("infield defense"). I don't think we can run out Jordan Westburg or even Gunnar at SS and claim to have a proven infield defense.

I don't really see Mateo as a trade candidate for that reason, unless the Orioles miraculously end up with one of the Big 4. Right now, Mateo is your proven SS with the big defensive metrics. I'm not trading him just to give Westburg or Ortiz a turn at SS. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Do they have anything worthwhile to give us in a trade? Mateo is clearly a fit for them, sure, but he's also one of the reasons (according to Ken) that Gibson signed here ("infield defense"). I don't think we can run out Jordan Westburg of even Gunnar at SS and claim to have a proven infield defense.

I don't really see Mateo as a trade candidate for that reason, unless the Orioles miraculously end up with one of the Big 4. Right now, Mateo is your proven SS with the big defensive metrics. 

Is Gibson going to unsign here if we move Mateo in January?  Not sure that's how that works.

And do you know, without seeing the product, that an IF of Urias/Gunnar/Westburg is defensively worse than Gunnar/Mateo/Urias?

3 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Is Gibson going to unsign here if we move Mateo in January?  Not sure that's how that works.

And do you know, without seeing the product, that an IF of Urias/Gunnar/Westburg is defensively worse than Gunnar/Mateo/Urias?

No, I don't know that for sure. It might be fine. I just don't think the O's are going to get enough for Mateo to make it worthwhile to (possibly) hinder their defense at SS as well as their depth. 

It's just not a priority to trade someone like Mateo, unless it's in a package for a legit young SP, which the Angels don't really have. But even then I'm not sure Mateo moves the needle in that package all that much. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

No, I don't know that for sure. It might be fine. I just don't think the O's are going to get enough for Mateo to make it worthwhile to (possibly) hinder their defense at SS as well as their depth. 

It's just not a priority to trade someone like Mateo, unless it's in a package for a legit young SP, which the Angels don't really have. But even then I'm not sure Mateo moves the needle in that package all that much. 

It’s not a priority for you. You have zero idea if it’s a priority for the Os, yet you are out here talking as if what you are saying is a fact.

Just now, interloper said:

If Gunnar can be a ML Shortstop I'd like to see him at Shortstop.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not a priority for you. You have zero idea if it’s a priority for the Os, yet you are out here talking as if what you are saying is a fact.

No, just my opinion. The O's could do anything! I don't think trading Mateo to the Angels for.... ??? who exactly... is something they're interested in. JMO. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's just not a priority to trade someone like Mateo, unless it's in a package for a legit young SP, which the Angels don't really have. 

MVP candidate Shohei Ohtani again makes MLB history in last game of season  | Fox News

😀

• Haha 1

I mean, there are obviously guys they can trade for Mateo that makes sense for both sides. 

What the Angels can’t do is go out and get an elite SS unless the take their money or they find a player coming off a poor year and has a big contract that they will be absorb (Baez?).

But how about a deal involving Ben Joyce?