Connolly: Don’t see the Os going beyond 2-3 years

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

83 wins, two of the top five or so prospects in MLB ready to play in the majors and no contracts on the books past 2023.

One would think that he shouldn't be writing off the division crown on December 7th.

It's not a good look.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's overreaction time of the year.  Saying "The goal is to make the playoffs" is not a concession of anything.  

I agree, I’m not sure what the uproar is. They have a bunch of young players that are entering a long competitive window within our team. I took the comment as Elias is trying to supplement this years team while strategically not making rash decisions that could affect the big picture.

I’ll take a playoff run this year with a side of repeated playoff appearances for many years to come.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s saying on paper we won’t have a team that would be likely to win the division.  He’s not saying he doesn’t want to win the division or that we couldn’t.  

It's a shame he doesn't have any power to affect our odds of winning the division.

Just now, Pickles said:

Ok so to be clear you complicated the original quote.  Glad we cleared that up.

I paraphrased it.

Quite accurately, I might add.

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Saying that your goal is to make the playoffs is normal and fine.

Saying "we don't believe we can win the division" in the first week of December when you allegedly plan on improving an 83 win team is rather eyebrow-raising.

This is being greatly overblown.  It's smart not to set expectations too high in a year where (hopefully) the team gives a ton of ABs and innings to rookies and young players. They are likely to struggle initially and it would be irresponsible not to get them as much experience as possible  because they are trying to maximize the W/L record in 2023 and letting those guys take their lumps will lead to a worse W/L record.