Who is left?

wildcard

19 hours ago, tntoriole said:

From the Athletic.. basically saying that the Os have done zip so far … MFYs with A grade. 

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Grade: C

Free agents: RHP Kyle Gibson, 1 year/$10 million.

The Orioles have been aggressive on the free-agent starting pitching market, but have yet to land a big fish despite their efforts. However, they did sign veteran righty Kyle Gibson, who should provide innings in the back of their rotation. The Orioles also are trying to acquire a corner outfield bat and a backup catcher. They still have a lot of work to do this offseason.

Giving out grades at this point in the offseason is a waste of time.   It’s like grading a horse race at the quarter-pole.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know, sometimes you can tell at the quarter-pole if a horse isn't going to win.

The good horses pace themselves and have plenty in the tank to close. Start at 1:25 and keep an eye on the sneaky horse at the rail. Very few races are won by the initial leader. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The good horses pace themselves and have plenty in the tank to close. Start at 1:25 and keep an eye on the sneaky horse at the rail. Very few races are won by the initial leader. 

Did I say "you can tell at the quarter-pole if a horse is going to win"?

No I didn't.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You said you can tell a loser. Horses can look like losers at the quarter pole and come back to win.

And I also said sometimes.

Are you suggesting that you can't sometimes spot a loser at the quarter pole?

This is something you really feel the need to have a discussion about?

This?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I also said sometimes.

Are you suggesting that you can't sometimes spot a loser at the quarter pole?

This is something you really feel the need to have a discussion about?

This?

Lol, in the context your meaning was clear and I still don't know how you can know the outcome of a race in advance, even sometimes. It is hilarious that you pushed back on Frobby's analogy and now I'm the bad guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, in the context your meaning was clear and I still don't know how you can know the outcome of a race in advance, even sometimes. It is hilarious that you pushed back on Frobby's analogy and now I'm the bad guy.

What's amusing is you even now can't admit to being wrong.  Funny how you and a few others seem to take every chance to try and catch me in gotcha comments.

Hey look, that horse just threw it's rider, bet it's not going to win!

Oh you see that poor horse break it's leg?  Poor thing.

i DonT KNow MaYBe It CaN STilL PulL it oUt!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's amusing is you even now can't admit to being wrong.  Funny how you and a few others seem to take every chance to try and catch me in gotcha comments.

Hey look, that horse just threw it's rider, bet it's not going to win!

Oh you see that poor horse break it's leg?  Poor thing.

i DonT KNow MaYBe It CaN STilL PulL it oUt!

Lol Congratulations your statement was technically true

48 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't understand why we wouldn't be willing to beat that offer.  That's a very reasonable price for a pitcher with high upside.  

It sure seems like a reasonable deal, but there is also much we don't know.  1) did our analytics not like him as much as some other teams?  We may not have liked him at $15M per.  Time will tell if he's worth the money or not.  2) it was reported he wanted to play in a big market.  We have no idea how much we'd have to beat that offer to get him in Baltimore instead.  

All that said, $15M a year seems pretty fair in this current market, but there is clearly a risk of how his game translates in the states.  I'm certainly curious to see how he does over the next few years.