The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

I think the final nail was when Elias said that a free agent pitcher on a long term deal tends to pitch better the first year of the deal. At least for me that’s when I realized that regardless of years or money they wouldn’t be in for any meaningful pitcher. When you start blatantly lying like that because you know nobody will fact check you and the few that do will be criticized for it is when you know you can do whatever you want and still control the narrative.

• Upvote 2

We’ve become all to accustomed to dumpster diving. I basically said what you are saying when Elias “clarified” his statement. He seems like a pretty confident dude and hasn’t done any take backs before this. I suspect they are basically pocketing 10s of millions. And again playing us for fools. I wish they would just sell and get it over with. Not really concerned about Lou’s lawsuit since he basically sold the law firm to himself for basically nothing.

Elias has got to be looking for a way out at this point. He has built the organization into something special from almost nothing and once it’s time to make that step, there is no green light. I have a hard time being mad at how Elias is handling this. I feel like he may have been under the impression that he could make some moves but it feels pretty obvious that ownership has somehow nixed that. The type of language that Elias has used since the Winter Meetings sounds like damage control. I can’t imagine someone in his position doesn’t realize that now is literally the best time to spend. 

Either that or he is an idiot and I don’t believe that for a second. It’ll be interesting to see what he does with the next club he works with, assuming they aren’t cheap liars like O’s ownership.

• Upvote 1

My 2 cents: No one named Angelos is paying any attention to the Orioles. John hired Elias and let him run the show. But Elias has to work within the limits of the budget given to him by finance. I think Elias believed that they would give him a budget closer to what a real MLB team would spend on players, and the budget came in way under that. So now he's back to dumpster diving mode. The young guys probably can drive the team toward the playoffs, Means may be back mid year, and they can trade for what they need at the deadline for players set to become free agents. Not advocating, just thinking out loud.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm never going to agree with this idea.

I've not seen any evidence that a stripped to bare bones franchise brings more than one with a normal payroll.

If anything a low payroll tells me they aren't selling and are instead pulling as much profit from the team as they can on a year by year basis.

If someone is paying a billion for a team I don't think an extra 30Million a year in payroll is going to be a deal breaker.

Especially not when factoring in the scarcity of these opportunities.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I didn't watch a pitch Sunday after that Saturday debacle. I had a charity ride to attend anyways, but I was not wasting a Sunday on this 2024 squad.  I'll probably watch some of the Yankees game, but my heart is out of this squad. I still want them to win, but they have given me no reason since May to think this team has any special abilities.  Injuries hurt them for sure, but they just don't have that "it" factor. They have the choke factor down pat though. I can deal with a bad team. Hell, I ran this place through the darkest, leanest years.  But what I can't deal with is an anti-clutch team. This is a team that can look victory in the face and find a way to lose. This is team with no ability to finish off a comeback.  Hell, even in their walk offs it's after their relievers choked away a lead.  The lack of hitting is boring. The lack of situational hitting is boring. The strikeout/homerun all or nothing approach is boring. The fact that they no longer steal bases or put pressure on the defense unless you count Masolino getting guys thrown out by 10 feet, is boring. The fact that both of their super prospects not came up did poorly, but literally crapped the bed and hit like pitchers is boring.  The fact that both of their number one overall selections have been either bad or awful is boring.  The fact that the "TOR" they picked up this offseason took a month and half "off" is boring. The fact that the Orioles still have Jimenez and Rivera on this team is boring.  It's just a boring team.  I'm just not interested in this 2024 squad and have zero faith in them that they can do anything in the playoffs. Even against the Royals (who will run all over the Orioles if they play them) or Twins, I don't give them much of a chance.  I'll never root against an Orioles team, and I hope that some miracle happens and they suddenly become a better team. But I will continue to say that this has been one of the most frustrating Orioles Playoff teams of all time. 
    • Now that Snyder has gone I can passively hope they do well. They should have kept the old name (Washington Football Team).
    • Daniels just completed a pass for 55 yards thru the air.  The guy has a heck of an arm.  Commanders look like a good team again and are dominating an 0-2 Bengals team that is desperate for a win.  21-10 in 2nd quarter.  
    • Westburg is the guy I'd want to run a bit more, he seems a bit more like a heady type player so I could see his instincts growing there, and he had decent numbers in the minors. He's had an interesting year in the SB department, stole 4/5 in the month of April, then 1/3 in May and 1/1 in June, but hasn't had a straight steal since June 3rd. Wonder if moving up in the lineup killed his run game?
    • Or a guy that can just come up and give innings when the bullpen is shot after a doubleheader or even give a spot start and then be sent back down.  Is Pham a likely future ML starter, no, but he might bail the O's out of a pitching bind multiple times next year.  
    • Saturday's game was epically bad and not the type of loss a team on the upswing into the playoffs would suffer and one that I certainly hate to witness. I couldn't watch most of the game Sunday, but I wouldn't DVR it and then peek at the score either, I don't think that I would ever watch if I knew the outcome of a game in advance. The surprise elation (Gunnar's bases loaded double) and the agony of the non-send and inability to hit a sac fly is what keeps me coming back, old fool that I am.
    • Predicting what the attendance will do next year is like predicting Hurrican season in January.  There are so many outside factors that it is just a guess.  How will they finish the year, how much will the spend in the offseason, how many corporations want to get ticket plans,   how is the economy in 6 months, how do they play next season what teams we play and when, will teams like Red Sox, Yankees and big draws play well.   I also think one of the biggest factors is what corporations want to sponsor give aways and what time of promotions will they run.  If you look at attendance some of the largest attendance games minus the Phillies, Yankees games are for the best giveaway souvenirs.  
  • Popular Contributors