John Angelos said the Orioles would be like the Rays but with a higher payroll

Going Underground

“I think what Mike said is right on,” Angelos said. “We have always felt that a rebuild requires you to take it down, and you have a long view, that you’re going to reinvest early and middle and often, and that’s going to give you fewer valleys and a whole lot more peaks. We were very successful for five years [from 2012 to 2016], but we had a drop-off. This is designed to take us out five, seven, 10 [years], more like a Tampa Bay kind of an approach, except with bigger payrolls.”

The Orioles’ young core will help payroll ‘increase steadily.’ It won’t justify a meager mark in 2023. | ANALYSIS – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-payroll-young-core-analysis-20221214-nnpcashs7nhnnli3ooek2hfoqa-story.html

• Upvote 2

Elias comment:

He added the team’s payroll would increase as revenues and attendance do, expecting those numbers to rise with the club’s improvement. The Orioles have had one of the eight lowest average home attendance figures every season since their most recent playoff berth in 2016. The club’s lease at Camden Yards is up after this season, though the team can exercise an option for a five-year extension before February, while Elias has repeatedly referenced future renovations the team has planned for the ballpark.

• Upvote 1

During the winter meetings in San Diego, Elias softened his outlook for the team’s financial plans, saying major league payroll would “increase steadily” over the coming years as the organization also tries to maintain its improvements in infrastructure.

“We have a plan to keep the underpinnings of the organization healthy going forward, which is something that the Orioles haven’t done historically while also funding a competitive team in the American League East, and it’s not something that we’re just going to force and do our wants and have it encumber our roster because we went out and made some deals that don’t make sense for the next window,” Elias said last week. “But I do expect our payroll is going to increase steadily from this point forward now that we feel like we have a competitive team and we feel like the internal talent’s there to fuel a competitive team.”

All the back and forth about pay roll and saying they’re going to do one thing and then reframing it and then lowering expectations and then kicking the can down the road and acting like “one day, you’ll see!” when really it’s the whole horse being led by a carrot on a stick thing….its exhausting and it’s really undoing any positive vibes I had about this era of Orioles baseball. It’s apparent that any mention of a larger payroll is a flat out lie and meant to keep fans engaged with the team long enough so the owners kids can rake in more cash to run away with once they have the opportunity. 

This team could have a significantly increased pay roll in 2023 and they could chart a path to the division. They are choosing not to. 

Edited by oriole
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Elias comment:

He added the team’s payroll would increase as revenues and attendance do, expecting those numbers to rise with the club’s improvement. The Orioles have had one of the eight lowest average home attendance figures every season since their most recent playoff berth in 2016. The club’s lease at Camden Yards is up after this season, though the team can exercise an option for a five-year extension before February, while Elias has repeatedly referenced future renovations the team has planned for the ballpark.

Here's a thought - if you spend to compete with the rest of the league instead of hoarding money then attendance would rise. I say this as someone who was all in on tanking for the rebuild. These statements though are infuriating for longtime O's fans. Talk about putting the cart before the horse....."when attendance increases we'll spend more" - good grief. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like a sleepover with Sydney Sweeney but here we are.

Had to look her up.   Seems like most of her career has been on channels I don't happen to get (HBO, Netflix) so I was unaware of her existence.

Thank you for the diversion.

10 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Tomorrow, Moose is going to post a selfie with Sydney Sweeney, and the Orioles are going to announce the signing of Rodon.

From your keyboard to God's ears, not sure how that's gonna happen but I'm willing to find out!

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't she kinda young for you?

You might want to look for someone more age appropriate. 

She's 25, I'm 41.  So we're consenting adults.

Plus I figure if Sweeney would ever be interested in me, it'll be because I've somehow come into a metric ****load of money and have purchased the Orioles and some other fun things.  If she's with me at that point, rest assured that it's not because of my dashing good looks and prolific sports message board posting history.  I'm sure we'll both be comfortable with the arrangement.

• Haha 1