John Angelos said the Orioles would be like the Rays but with a higher payroll

Going Underground

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Jennifer Anniston said she’d spend a weekend with me (Rolls Eyes) for 1 Million dollars. I told her I’d get back to her when I have the funds. Unless I win the lottery it probably won’t be worth it once I liquidate my assets at retirement age in about 14 years. That said I’m keeping her on the hook by telling her that I’m “gradually and incrementally” raising the funds required. 

Wow, she must like you.  She's still bringing in 20M a year from Friends alone.

After 2022, and projecting some continued development from some excellent young talent, I'd really hoped they'd have the confidence in the state of the rebuild that they felt they could take some risks on one or two solid free agents--not blockbuster but players you figure for 2-3 WAR at positions of need.

As it stands I'm wondering if they'd even take on payroll in the middle of the season if the Orioles are doing well.

I'm not entirely opposed to doing things cheaply, not out of financial concerns (I obviously do not care) but because I'd hate to watch them force themselves to stick with bad players because they're making a lot of money.  There's something to be said for a next-man-up approach where they're not committed to playing guys who are just not doing the job, and they can instead dip into the minors and bring up someone with some ceiling and let them run with it.

I'm not one to make this analysis, I'm bias and got pretty burnt out over Ubaldo, Davis, etc.  Free agents don't have to turn out that way, but big commitments to players in their 30s... obviously never ideal.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Been telling you guys that JA is cash poor. He’s not going to spend big until money is being brought in.

He won’t do the whole, spend money to make money thing.

But the team is already producing a lot more cash than it’s currently spending.  I’m fine with the O’s returning some profits to the owners, but not a ridiculous amount, now that the team is ready to be competitive.  I’m guessing the team’s operating income may have been $100 mm last year, after being at $83 mm in 2021.  That’s by far the highest it’s ever been.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But the team is already producing a lot more cash than it’s currently spending.  I’m fine with the O’s returning some profits to the owners, but not a ridiculous amount, now that the team is ready to be competitive.  I’m guessing the team’s operating income may have been $100 mm last year, after being at $83 mm in 2021.  That’s by far the highest it’s ever been.   

MLB doesn't care enough to intervene.

7 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Elias comment:

He added the team’s payroll would increase as revenues and attendance do, expecting those numbers to rise with the club’s improvement. 

I, for one, commend our commitment to not trying to juke the odds by investing resources in making the team better before the team is better 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Been telling you guys that JA is cash poor. He’s not going to spend big until money is being brought in.

He won’t do the whole, spend money to make money thing.

I mean it’s obvious at this point that it’s something like this. At the same time, they are bringing a ton of money in as it is. It’s disingenuous of them to keep selling otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, Slight Upward Arc said:

I mean it’s obvious at this point that it’s something like this. At the same time, they are bringing a ton of money in as it is. It’s disingenuous of them to keep selling otherwise. 

Heard the other day that some owners are still crying woe is me because of the COVID bs. 

The Orioles have the added dimension of having Baltimore and the perception/reality of the city and it’s hurting them.