Orioles pursuing Wacha?

Sports Guy

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This is my first week ever being this harsh with any critique. 

Before the Winter Meetings, I was filled with excitement and enthusiasm. And ready to purchase season tickets.

I know my ranting is getting me nowhere as I know the Orioles don’t care/don’t listen to their fans.

But it really stings to see us (the Orioles) self sabotage like this.

I legitimately thought that we were headed for a dynasty of competing for pennants beginning next season. I was SUPER excited! 

Now I’m left with the feeling of “why can’t we ever have nice things as O’s fans”? Why do they always have to find a way to screw it up? 

Verlander plus one impactful starter or bat could have had us in the conversation of being major contenders. Now we are stuck with relying on hope and overperformance.

I just don’t understand.

In sports they say "never get too high or too low".   I didn't get too excited about the lift off comments nor am I despondent over the inactivity so far.

I would love to see them do something crazy like signing Rodon.   That would be exciting.   Not going to happen.   I'm not going to let that ruin my day, week, or month.    

Elias said he would get a #1-#3 starter.  Gibson isn't.  Wacha isn't either.   If Elias doesn't get a #1-#3 I'm not going to cry but I'd like to hear him explain what happened.   I hope he doesn't try to pass either one off as a #1-#3.   I find Elias to be a pretty straight shooter.   It's actually been to his detriment to be as honest as he's been and trying to explain things.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Why can't you (and others, not just you) just state your opinions and where you disagree without tearing down other posters?  I'm not bothered reading the opinions of others who I disagree with, but I don't like the name calling (pollyanna this, whiner that). 

For fair, balanced, and polite you have Frobby.    I'll try to be nicer.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In sports they say "never get too high or too low".   I didn't get too excited about the lift off comments nor am I despondent over the inactivity so far.

I would love to see them do something crazy like signing Rodon.   That would be exciting.   Not going to happen.   I'm not going to let that ruin my day, week, or month.    

I often wish I could just sleep through the offseason and wake up on the first day of spring training.   Just tell me who the team signed or traded and let’s play ball.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Why don't we resign Lyles?  He pitched pretty well for us this season and he was happy here.

That's what I've been implying (in above post). In both 2021 and '22 Lyles has pitched 50% more innings than Wacha. That helps save the 'pen and makes us less dependent on iffy spot starters (or openers). Also a proven very positive clubhouse guy and mentor.

Edited by LA2

Just now, Frobby said:

I often wish I could just sleep through the offseason and wake up on the first day of spring training.   Just tell me who the team signed or traded and let’s play ball.   

Stay off of Orioles Hangout and the internet and avoid fellow Orioles fans and you should be just fine.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

That's what I've been implying (in above post). In both 2021 and '22 Lyles has pitched 50% more innings than Wacha. That improves the 'pen and makes us less dependent on iffy spot starters (or openers).

I’d argue that with Gibson already on hand, we’re more concerned with quality than “eating innings” with any other starters we acquire.  We have plenty of other guys available if Wacha (or whoever) misses 8-10 starts.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When you get my age and live in Vermont, it's easy - er. Tis called hibernation. Works too!

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I try to get away from it all for awhile and then get back into it at Winter Meetings. This year was different because for the first time in years I had some expectations.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias said he would get a #1-#3 starter.  Gibson isn't.  Wacha isn't either.   If Elias doesn't get a #1-#3 I'm not going to cry but I'd like to hear him explain what happened.   I hope he doesn't try to pass either one off as a #1-#3.   I find Elias to be a pretty straight shooter.   It's actually been to his detriment to be as honest as he's been and trying to explain things.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say ANYTHING the Orioles do/have done/will do ruins my day, week, etc. My life is pretty good independent of the Orioles.

But as a lifelong fan of this team and a person who was born in and grew up in the Baltimore area, I am frustrated.

Now as far as Elias goes, up until this point (where he was backed into a corner and had to sort retract/take back some earlier statements), I do not expect him to say anything to the effect that ownership prevented me from executing my plans the way that I wanted by pulling the rug out from under me. (If that is what happened?)

I don’t know what happened, but what I think is a reasonable deduction is that something changed from the Summer when all of this talk started to the Winter we had walked some of those things back.

I probably sound like a broken record with my venting this week which I know is annoying to some. But I’m almost done…lol

My anger and agitation will soon move to acceptance and then apathy.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say ANYTHING the Orioles do/have done/will do ruins my day, week, etc. My life is pretty good independent of the Orioles.

But as a lifelong fan of this team and a person who was born in and grew up in the Baltimore area, I am frustrated.

Now as far as Elias goes, up until this point (where he was backed into a corner and had to sort retract/take back some earlier statements), I do not expect him to say anything to the effect that ownership prevented me from executing my plans the way that I wanted by pulling the rug out from under me. (If that is what happened?)

I don’t know what happened, but what I think is a reasonable deduction is that something changed from the Summer when all of this talk started to the Winter we had walked some of those things back.

I probably sound like a broken record with my venting this week which I know is annoying to some. But I’m almost done…lol

My anger and agitation will soon move to acceptance and then apathy.

It's cool.  Hey, I feel like I am in the minority here.  I'm making more enemies than usual this week.   lol

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It's cool.  Hey, I feel like I am in the minority here.  I'm making more enemies than usual this week.   lol

Continue to speak your mind! That’s what makes this board and any message board better, when you have varied, differing well thought out opinions.

That’s why I enjoy this message board so much more than the Ravens most popular message board, where there is just loads of mindless drivel and tons of thoughtless word vomiting.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this is the best plan.  Not the easiest thing to do but probably the wisest.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Let me be clear: I’m not very happy with how the offseason has gone so far.  I was just responding to a specific point about competence.   I’m pretty much holding my fire on evaluating the offseason until it’s over.  

I think that’s fair but I also think it’s fair to fire away as the off-season progresses. Or in this case, regresses. 

Jump in, Frob. The water is warm.