Orioles pursuing Wacha?

Sports Guy

Who did you guys expect the Orioles to sign this off-season? We’re just starting to see sunlight from a demo and gut rebuild. We were never going to give out 30 mill a year contracts. Guys like Wacha and Gibson are solid pieces to add for a season or 2. 

Maybe the team is high on Wells, Bradish and Kremer. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Kluber.    10-10    4.34 ERA in 164 innings over 31 starts   .7WAR

Lyles      12-11     4.42 ERA in 179 innings over 32 starts  1.0 WAR

I can cherry pick too! Pretty comparable IMO. 

Yea you can cherry pick and use awful, non predictive or helpful stats to do it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

Who did you guys expect the Orioles to sign this off-season? We’re just starting to see sunlight from a demo and gut rebuild. We were never going to give out 30 mill a year contracts. Guys like Wacha and Gibson are solid pieces to add for a season or 2. 

He said a #1-#3 so I expected a #4 he could pass off as a 3.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I just added the stat since the thread is about Wacha. Based on the stats you’d hope the park would benefit him.

I would think he'd be a good fit.   It's all about health and how many innings he can give you.   I actually thought he looked great last year when he pitched against us.   He has one of the best changeups in baseball and commands his fastball.    Guys like him, who change speeds and rely on fastball command sometime have terrible statcast numbers in most categories but show up well in the hard hit percentage category.    If he's healthy, I think he's good but there's no denying he doesn't have much history in the last 4-5 years of being durable, at all.

3 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I expected liftoff when he promised fans that’d be the case after selling on the team last trade deadline. Instead we’re allegedly getting a slight upward arc, so far in the way of Kyle Gibson. There really is no defense for not trying to improve this teams chances this season. What Elias has told us is that they aren’t there yet. Again. So we’ll just keep waiting. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea you can cherry pick and use awful, non predictive or helpful stats to do it. 

Fact …Lyles made 1 more start and 15 innings. The ERA is what it is and the difference in WHIP is .17 in Kluber’s favor. They are pretty similar mediocre pitchers at this point in their career.

Kluber was a stud in 2014-2018. The previous 3 seasons before 2022, he pitched 116 innings. That’s cause for concern in any multiple year offers 

Of course, we are all talking as if Wacha has been signed.   He hasn't.   A rumor that the Orioles are interested.   I would be disappointed if we came away with Gibson and Wacha.    Neither is a #1-#3 pitcher as Elias stated.    They may have been, particularly Wacha, at one time.

Still, it's remarkable how much venom is directed at ownership and Elias when the other shoes hasn't even dropped yet.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course, we are all talking as if Wacha has been signed.   He hasn't.   A rumor that the Orioles are interested.   I would be disappointed if we came away with Gibson and Wacha.    Neither is a #1-#3 pitcher as Elias stated.    They may have been, particularly Wacha, at one time.

Still, it's remarkable how much venom is directed at ownership and Elias when the other shoes hasn't even dropped yet.

When the remaining shoes are those found at a Payless, that could be why. There only real opportunity to deliver on what they sold us at this point, is through trades. That could still happen, but it seems more clear based on all of the commentary from the FO this off-season that it won’t happen. TBH, I’m a little surprised there isn’t far more venom than there is. There really should be. 

Edited by Slight Upward Arc

Just now, Slight Upward Arc said:

When the remaining shoes are those found at a PayLess, that could be why. There only real opportunity to deliver on what they sold us at this point, is through trades. That could still happen, but it seems more clear based on all of the commentary from the FO this off-season that it won’t happen. TBH, I’m a little surprised there isn’t far more venom than there is. There really should be. 

Won't you feel kind of foolish if they get a #1-#3 pitcher or another signficant addition through trade?     Probably not but I ask because it just strikes me as histrionics until we have something final.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Won't you feel kind of foolish if they get a #1-#3 pitcher or another signficant addition through trade?     Probably not but I ask because it just strikes me as histrionics until we have something final.

It’s called reading the room. No I won’t feel foolish. Not anymore than I currently feel fooled anyway. The writing is on the wall. 

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yea, hopefully the Morosi rumor is bs.