Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's slow, his bat speed is terrible, and he'll be 32 years old. Even you have to agree that's not a good combination, and certainly not a $8 million a year combination.

He just turned 31 yesterday but I agree that he’ll be 32 someday.   I’ll agree that last year was not good.  He’s had a pretty decent career up to that point.  If he produces like last year it’s poor allocation of 8M.  If he can play multiple positions like his stats suggest, and put up 2 WAR or better, not so bad.  If he can do that without blocking Westburg or Ortiz I’d call that a win.

Again, I’m not crazy about it.   But I think the negative stuff is way over the top.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Would you have preferred if I had said that Elias doesn’t think that it’s probable that the Orioles will win the East this year?

That’s how I interpret that quote. You’re free to your own interpretation. That doesn’t change anything I said because we haven’t seen him take any risk with respect to buy-side trades or significant free agent acquisitions. I understand that the team wasn’t in a position to make such moves. I think the team is in a different position now.

Yes. Big difference to me between “it’s not likely “  and “we can’t “.   Basically saying we can do it if things break best-case scenario but it would be against great odds for us to win the division.  That’s my interpretation.

22 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He's a contact hitter.   Must we play Franchy a lot because he's 99th percentile max EV?      Barrels rightly value a batter's talent to sting the ball, but without looking I'd guess his line drive rates are decent.    He's not as good as brand leaders like Kwan and Arraez.     Bats have been training to crush the ball awhile now to get value out of their few touches, but MLB is putting a restrictor plate on defenses so more singles can fall in.    Colton Cowser wonders if Frazier likes legos.

Many of us saw the Buck Contact to Damage Orioles die fast as the ability to make a living crushing chase pitches fades quickly.

I would rather play neither Frazier nor Cordero, but since thst is not an option, I guess I would prefer to play Frazier and hope that he can at least OPS like .675.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

@RZNJ I'm curious about something... Would you consider yourself a contrarian? It seems you like to argue the opposite position consistently. No problem with that, just genuinely curious.

When I see everyone (almost) everyone bashing something I find myself asking if there could be another side to it.   There usually is.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Nothing wrong with that. To each their own. It was just an observation and I was genuinely curious.

There’s also a lot of wild inaccuracies.  I hate to see that go unchecked.   Tony just said Frazier hadn’t been good for a few years.  That’s just plain wrong whether you hate the signing or not.

3 minutes ago, oriolesacox said:

Like most, I’m left scratching my head. I saw on MLBTR that Sonny Gray and Kenya Maeda were receiving trade interest.  Maybe with them losing Correa Ramón/Mateo are in play there? Or am I trying to make sense of a non sensical situation?

That's been my theory the Orioles are going to move a player. They have more than enough infield depth even without Frazier.  So why give him $8M unless you know you're going to trade an infielder already on the MLB roster. 

I don't understand this signing either, but Frazier is a good player. 2-3 WAR guy over his career. Strong defender at multiple positions and an above average hitter vs RHPs (104 wRC+). Is this the best use of 8M to improve the team? No, I don't think so. We already had a lot of infield depth. But people are acting like we gave Odor 8M. Frazier is a good player.

17 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I don't understand this signing either, but Frazier is a good player. 2-3 WAR guy over his career. Strong defender at multiple positions and an above average hitter vs RHPs (104 wRC+). Is this the best use of 8M to improve the team? No, I don't think so. We already had a lot of infield depth. But people are acting like we gave Odor 8M. Frazier is a good player.

Frazier was pretty good earlier in his career but he has really only had one good half season in the last three years.

2020: .230/.297/.364

2021 pre-trade: .324/.388/.448

2021 post-trade: .267/.327/.335

2022: .238/.301/.311

That said, maybe they see something that they believe they can fix to get him back on track.