Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

26 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Maybe I have unrealistic standards, but I don't consider .301 OBP "getting on base".  Orioles have a long history of signing bounce back candidates, Vlad and Sosa come immediately to mind although there were many others.  Most of these bounce back candidates continued to decline.

There is always a judgment to be made when a player has a down year - was it a correctable thing or part of a downward trend?   Obviously, the Orioles have judged it’s the former.   We’ll see if they’re right.  Frazier will be 31 this season.   Some players are in the steady decline phase of their careers by then, and some aren’t.   I think the O’s are sophisticated enough to make better judgments than you and I about who is likely to bounce back.  That doesn’t mean they’ll always be correct.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well, he has had a bad year and a half. (Covering 800 at bats)

On top of that, he is on the wrong side of 30 and historically speaking, middle infielders see steep declines in their early 30s.

All numbers are trending poorly and he is “old” for his position.

Thats not to say he can’t bounce back. As I have said, I wouldn’t be shocked by a 2ish WAR season but it’s naive to act as if it’s an almost certainty that he will bounce back and it was a poor signing to begin with.

It's not though. It's about approach. It's like saying McCann isn't going to provide depth because he didn't perform well at the Mets. It's like saying Voth was a bad signing because he didn't perform well with the Nats. I trust our coaches and analytics team to get the most out of these guys as they have proven to have earned my trust. Again, you need quality depth to slowly bring in the younger guys. That's exactly what Frazier provides. This way we can start strong and finish strong.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

61 pages. Whoa.

Somewhere on the internet I learned that you can tell how an offseason is going by counting the number of pages on a message for a middling signing. The more pages, the worse the offseason.

Edited by LookinUp
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I already addressed that while you twiddled your thumbs with your tardy reply. Hell Elias addressed that too. Are all of y’all this ill informed or is it willful ignorance? 

Um, no, this is not how we talk here. Do better.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, he has had a bad year and a half. (Covering 800 at bats)

On top of that, he is on the wrong side of 30 and historically speaking, middle infielders see steep declines in their early 30s.

All numbers are trending poorly and he is “old” for his position.

Thats not to say he can’t bounce back. As I have said, I wouldn’t be shocked by a 2ish WAR season but it’s naive to act as if it’s an almost certainty that he will bounce back and it was a poor signing to begin with.

It's also not hard to believe the Orioles could have gotten that 2ish WAR at second base with rookies earning the minimum and/or from Urias vs $8 million.

But we've beaten this horse to death. I certainly don't like the idea of Stowers losing PAs to Frazier. at either corner OF or DH.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Um, no, this is not how we talk here. Do better.

Aw come on haha. I mean, all of what he groaned about has been addressed by Elias and Frazier. It's important to look out for information than wander in the dark without a light.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

But we've beaten this horse to death. 

Yes.  This thread got bumped last night because sportsfan8703 had a point to make that the trade market would likely heat up soon and maybe Urias or Mateo would get dealt in light of the Frazier acquisition.  Somehow that’s led to everyone repeating their previously expressed opinions about Frazier.   I don’t think there’s anything new left to say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes.  This thread got bumped last night because sportsfan8703 had a point to make that the trade market would likely heat up soon and maybe Urias or Mateo would get dealt in light of the Frazier acquisition.  Somehow that’s led to everyone repeating their previously expressed opinions about Frazier.   I don’t think there’s anything new left to say.

I quite agree. Maybe we should move the bounceback to it's own thread. I think I'll lock this one for now.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The way they've used Stowers at the major league level and then with the Frazier acquisition, I'm getting the feeling that he's either on the trading block, or they feel Santander is going to be traded and he's going into RF next year. Either way, they have not treated him "like a guy". Personally, I think they under value him. 

That we agree on. I personally would have him back up Hays and take over when he has gone cold and have him play right when Santander DHs. Frazier does add depth at corner outfield which is a plus but I'd rather have him at second for the majority of the games he plays. I think he does precisely that but have another option at outfield is important. McKenna is another guy that I expect will have a better year than what we have seen previous. Left field is like another centerfield with the new dimensions so we will need all the depth there we can get. Can't wait to see Cowser man that spot as well. My gut tells me we ride Hays' first half into a trade and bring along Stowers and Cowser after the deadline. Hyde has said we are going to be younger this year than last year so the plan is already being hatched, I think.