Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Worthless no, but not much more than a secondary piece in a trade. I also don't see how either would have any appeal to the Marlins. Kim Ng has already said that she anticipates the prospect they just traded Rojas for to be in the mix at some point this season and she's hinted that they might move Chisolm back to SS. Wendle and/or Berti are good enough fill ins for a month or so until Amaya is ready. 

Amaya is a younger version of Rojas, the player they traded to the Dodgers.  All glove no stick.   I doubt that he’s plan A at SS.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I find it funny that you say it speculating too much and your next sentence is “they probably want..”

Im not speculating about anything. I’m saying this is exactly what has been reported. There have yet to be tied to any players with zero ML experience and outside of Casas, every player tied to them is an established Mler.

I keep  seeing you talk about what you would do and what they should do. Guess what, that doesn’t matter. What matters is what they want to do and reportedly, they want to do what I’m saying. 

You're criticizing someone and speaking like what you've read is the gospel. It's not.  It's also pure speculation. If we look at it from a logical standpoint the Marlins might "want" an Arraez or Mullins type, but if that's not realistic and they have to settle for a Kepler or Santander type I think they most certainly would prefer a MLB ready prospect. I mean, they literally just made a trade with a Marlins for a similar player (i..e, not proven, but expected to be called up this season). 

Why would Miami want a low-OBP slugger whose fielding ability is rapidly declining? 

I wouldn't trade a young SP for Santander. That's just me. Good hitter, valuable to the O's lineup, but he's not exactly the profile of what modern baseball people are looking for. Plus they need a CF, not a COF/DH.

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

As opposed to Mateo who (wait for it) is an older version and all glove no stick? 

Did I suggest the Marlins wanted Mateo?  Mateo is 27.  I guess some people might call that old.

Edited by RZNJ

14 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Do the Marlin's seem like they're a defensive minded player away from contention? Urias and Mateo are also old by baseball standards so there's really no reason to believe they have much more room for growth either. I'm not saying they're worthless players, I'm just saying that I can't imagine that two older players who basically came out of no where last season to have solid season largely driven by their defense really have much trade appeal outside of our organization. 

I don’t think the two should be overrated, but neither should they be underrated.   Urias didn’t really come out of nowhere, he’s been solid the whole time he’s been on the Orioles.  He’s hit a career OPS+ of 109, so his value does not come exclusively from defense.  Mateo’s admittedly does, but a great defensive SS is an asset. And I wouldn’t call either one of them old; Mateo will be 28 this season, Urias 29.   

Now, do I think either player by himself would fetch Lopez?  No.  And I think Urias would help the Marlins more than Mateo would given their needs.   

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Why would Miami want a low-OBP slugger whose fielding ability is rapidly declining? 

I wouldn't trade a young SP for Santander. That's just me. Good hitter, valuable to the O's lineup, but he's not exactly the profile of what modern baseball people are looking for. Plus they need a CF, not a COF/DH.

Completely agree. They're already stuck with one of those types of players in Soler. If I were the Marlins the only players I would be interested in on the Orioles are Mullins and Cowser (as the main trade piece).

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the two should be overrated, but neither should they be underrated.   Urias didn’t really come out of nowhere, he’s been solid the whole time he’s been on the Orioles.  He’s hit a career OPS+ of 109, so his value does not come exclusively from defense.  Mateo’s admittedly does, but a great defensive SS is an asset. And I wouldn’t call either one of them old; Mateo will be 28 this season, Urias 29.   

Now, do I think either player by himself would fetch Lopez?  No.  And I think Urias would help the Marlins more than Mateo would given their needs.   

Teams on the verge of contending trade for 28/29 year old players. Teams that aren't do not. I really don't view the Marlins being even remotely close to contending. They arguably have the worst offense in baseball going into the season. 

5 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Teams on the verge of contending trade for 28/29 year old players. Teams that aren't do not. I really don't view the Marlins being even remotely close to contending. They arguably have the worst offense in baseball going into the season. 

That's fair, but there have certainly been reports that the Marlins want major league players for their arms.  

34 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Respectfully disagree. Cowser + should be enough everyone except for Lopez and Alcantara. It might even be enough for Lopez, depending on how concerned the Marlins are about his second half collapse last season. 

Your overrating of Lopez is astounding.

17 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

And, potentially, one of the best rotations, hence why they are looking to improve offense at key positions.   They signed Segura.  They were in on Jose Abreu.  Those are “now” moves.

Edited by RZNJ

24 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

You're criticizing someone and speaking like what you've read is the gospel. It's not.  It's also pure speculation. If we look at it from a logical standpoint the Marlins might "want" an Arraez or Mullins type, but if that's not realistic and they have to settle for a Kepler or Santander type I think they most certainly would prefer a MLB ready prospect. I mean, they literally just made a trade with a Marlins for a similar player (i..e, not proven, but expected to be called up this season). 

Lol. You were the criticizing me. Stop being so sensitive.

Im basing things off of the knowledge we are being told. You are doing it on what you think they should do but I’m the one “speculating too much” lol