The O’s Opening Day roster of 2022 - a look back

Frobby

As we get ready to debate who will make the 2023 OD roster, it’s always good to remember that the team will cycle through a lot of players during the season.  Among the position players, the 2022 OD roster included:

- DJ Stewart, who got one pinch hit AB in each of the first three games, then was sent to the minors and never played in another major league game all year.

- Kelvin Gutierrez, who got 33 PA in 12 games, was sent down after May 1 and never returned to the majors.   

- Anthony Bemboom, who kept Adley’s seat warm through May 20, getting 59 PA in 22 games.  Once sent down, he never was recalled.

- Chris Owings, who lasted through June 2 and got 68 PA in 26 games.  Released by the O’s, he spent the rest of the season with the Yankees’ AAA team.  

Collectively, these four got 153 plate appearances, which is 31 fewer than Tyler Nevin, who wasn’t on the OD roster.   Only Bemboom is still with the organization.

Overall, the team gave more than 1000 PA to players not on the OD roster, led of course by Adley at 470.   Nevin, Henderson, Stowers and Vavra had 517 between them, and six others combined for 146 PA.   

I do think our bench will be considerably stronger at the beginning of 2023 than it was on OD 2022.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As we get ready to debate who will make the 2023 OD roster, it’s always good to remember that the team will cycle through a lot of players during the season.  Among the position players, the 2022 OD roster included:

- DJ Stewart, who got one pinch hit AB in each of the first three games, then was sent to the minors and never played in another major league game all year.

- Kelvin Gutierrez, who got 33 PA in 12 games, was sent down after May 1 and never returned to the majors.   

- Anthony Bemboom, who kept Adley’s seat warm through May 20, getting 59 PA in 22 games.  Once sent down, he never was recalled.

- Chris Owings, who lasted through June 2 and got 68 PA in 26 games.  Released by the O’s, he spent the rest of the season with the Yankees’ AAA team.  

Collectively, these four got 153 plate appearances, which is 31 fewer than Tyler Nevin, who wasn’t on the OD roster.   Only Bemboom is still with the organization.

Overall, the team gave more than 1000 PA to players not on the OD roster, led of course by Adley at 470.   Nevin, Henderson, Stowers and Vavra had 517 between them, and six others combined for 146 PA.   

I do think our bench will be considerably stronger at the beginning of 2023 than it was on OD 2022.

With guys like Biemboom, Gutierrez and Owings getting somewhat regular at bats in April, no wonder the early offense was awful.  And of course Odor was playing every day.

18 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

With guys like Biemboom, Gutierrez and Owings getting somewhat regular at bats in April, no wonder the early offense was awful.  And of course Odor was playing every day.

Yup. I think that’s how we improve. We won’t be going ABs to guys like that. On the pitching side we really need to limit the amount of starts that Watkins, Zimmerman, and Baumann get. Last year it was 30-35 for that bunch. 

Good topic by the OP. 

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m old enough to remember people actually thinking KG was a good option to start at 3rd and would be all season.

Were there many people who thought that?   I remember hoping it was possible.   We ran a poll on his 2022 OPS and only 5 of 27 voters thought he’d top .700.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were there many people who thought that?   I remember hoping it was possible.   We ran a poll on his 2022 OPS and only 5 of 27 voters thought he’d top .700.   

But people thought the defense would be elite enough to make up for it.

It was some people..not a ton. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But people thought the defense would be elite enough to make up for it.

It was some people..not a ton. 

One thing we definitely didn’t know was that Urias would be so good defensively at 3B.   If you’d asked me before the season, I definitely would have said that Gutierrez was the better defender there.   So we got defense that was as good or better than Gutierrez could provide, and significantly better offense.   And now Urias probably won’t even hold down the job!