Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

The top 12 position players are pretty much set, assuming Stowers is in there. The 13th will be a left-handed hitter who can play 1B, preferably with power. O'Hearn will be one of six (6!) reasonable candidates who will battle it out in ST. (Cordero, O'Hearn, and Lester all play 1B and my guess is that they'll work out Vavra, Neustrom, and Mazara there too.)

He has an option. OPACY will be good for him. Whomever wins the backup 1B job will have limited AB's. Relax.

The right-handedness of the staff is of much more interest to me. You could argue that the most obvious regression candidates on the team are Perez and Akin, and until Means returns from TJ they might be the only lefties. With the focus on balancing the handedness of the 13 hitters I'm pretty surprised that we haven't done much to address balance in the pitching staff. Can't wait to see who we get in trade.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m amazed we went after this guy when he’s making more than the major league minimum.  What does he have to offer?

Loading up on lefty-hitting Quad-A types (Mazara, Cordero, O'Hearn, the brief fling with Diaz) has got to be a deliberate strategy, but I'm struggling to picture how it translates into a playoff contender.

22 minutes ago, deward said:

Given how this team pinches pennies these days, I'd be a little surprised if they spent money to trade for a guy who makes above the league minimum just to DFA him before spring training. I expect him to make the team, unless he looks terrible in March.

You expect him to make the team simply because he makes above the minimum? I think the payroll can handle having him in AAA, especially since we've slung a few cash trades already. 

The end of spring training is so far away. This guy could be off the 40-man with the next move, or he could just compete with Cordero and the other minor league/waiver guys to see who looks the least bad as a backup 1B. In the end, they could all lose out to someone we haven't even considered or acquired yet. Who knows?! Definitely not us on January 3rd. 

6 minutes ago, deward said:

Loading up on lefty-hitting Quad-A types (Mazara, Cordero, O'Hearn, the brief fling with Diaz) has got to be a deliberate strategy, but I'm struggling to picture how it translates into a playoff contender.

The mistake people make is drawing a line directly from these types of acquisitions to "playoffs". Whoever our backup 1B is will not determine whether or not we make the playoffs. I feel confident in saying that the 26th man on the roster is not going to be what does or doesn't get us over the hump. 

Pitching is a much better avenue for complaint/criticism if you don't like the off-season. And I would agree with that one. If we fail to make the playoffs, we can look back and be like "well they only added Kyle Gibson, that was pretty stupid". I guarantee you we will not be saying, "we didn't address the backup 1B spot enough". 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

What a joke.  This better not be all they do to satisfy the need for a lefty first base back up.  Though the way Roch is talking it up, it appears that it just mighjt be.

You’d think at some point Roch would be embarrassed of his reporting but he seems to have no dignity.