Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think McCann is better than Chirinos.

Do I think McCann getting at bats at DH and 1B could bring his overall value down to a similar level?  Yes.

With the other moves they have made how many at bats at those spots do you see? Ryan if healthy is going to be the 1B. We have nobody else who can remotely play there with any regularity. O’Hearn will get some starts. 

Vs a LHP even if Adley is sitting you still have Santander in the lineup. Hays, Urias and Mateo. I don’t think McCann is a full time DH vs LHP. Clearly if possible when he starts it would be better off with him facing a LHP.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

With the other moves they have made how many at bats at those spots do you see? Ryan if healthy is going to be the 1B. We have nobody else who can remotely play there with any regularity. O’Hearn will get some starts. 

Vs a LHP even if Adley is sitting you still have Santander in the lineup. Hays, Urias and Mateo. I don’t think McCann is a full time DH vs LHP. Clearly if possible when he starts it would be better off with him facing a LHP.  

I don't see any.

But it sounds like Elias does.

I don't think you tell someone like McCann it's going to happen and then don't do it.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

McCann is probably better but if they play him 60-80 games and put him at DH and first, I’m confident he will be a negative WAR player.  If he only catches, he will probably be an upgrade but one that doesn’t move the needle.

You are saying you think the bench has as much value as Mullins. That’s laughable to me. 

What was the value in the appearances from Nevin, Owings and Chirinos last year ?  Add Odor to the mix. Nevin started 40 games at 3rd last year. This year you have multiple players who can handle 3rd. 

You have to compare how the roster was last year and how the depth is greater this year. You can easily see an improvement over last year. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see any.

I don't think you tell someone like McCann it's going to happen and then don't do it.

How many times will Mountcastle not start at 1B? 

I’m sure they told him he would get starts there and at DH. I don’t think it was some guarantee he gets (x) amount of starts.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see any.

I think if it was a free agency signing, a player considers such comments to pretty much be promises.  After all, these conversations lead to the player's decision on what team he signs with.  In this case, though, it was a trade and these comments were made pretty much in passing while welcoming him to the club.  I don't really get the sense that McCann has any cast-in-stone expectations.

Just now, Number5 said:

I think if it was a free agency signing, a player considers such comments to pretty much be promises.  After all, these conversations lead to the player's decision on what team he signs with.  In this case, though, it was a trade and these comments were made pretty much in passing while welcoming him to the club.  I don't really get the sense that McCann has any cast-in-stone expectations.

He's a nine year vet and former All-star.

Even coming off a poor year he's not someone you blow smoke at.

I think he expects time at 1B and DH.

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What was the value in the appearances from Nevin, Owings and Chirinos last year ?  Add Odor to the mix. Nevin started 40 games at 3rd last year. This year you have multiple players who can handle 3rd. 

You have to compare how the roster was last year and how the depth is greater this year. You can easily see an improvement over last year. 

But you also have to understand injuries will be worse this year. That we don’t know if guys who played over their heads in 2022 will continue to do so.

The team may be better because of the young guys and how they improve. It’s not better because of what Elias had done to improve the ML roster this year.

McCann May be better.  Great. If they use him properly, I’m sure he will be. But if he plays too much and they take Adley away from behind the plate too much, he will hurt the team. Nevin played too much.  Maybe we have someone better. Or, maybe like most teams, they will still be running out negative WAR guys.

Lets  just stop acting like this bench is some kind of a difference maker. It’s not and even if it is, it will be at a detriment to the everyday lineup, so overall there’s no improvement. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ripken said:

This is pathetic.

21 hours ago, McLovin said:

LOL. Negative WAR every season he’s played. I guess they wanted to answer the challenge of finding someone actually worse than Chris Davis. 

Good to see you back on the board, wish you'd post more.

Yes, we need someone as pathetic as Chris Davis.  Or Rougned Odor.

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm setting the over/under on pages about Ryan O'Hearn at 15.  And taking the OVER.

I should have set it at 30 but I think we're going to blow way past that at this rate.

I cannot keep up with this thread. McCann is going to be a regular 1B option and also O'Hearn is going to get 400 ABs??? All while McCann himself mentioned yesterday that both he AND Adley could be asked to fill in there on occasion. Where are all these at bats coming from? 

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I cannot keep up with this thread. McCann is going to be a regular 1B option and also O'Hearn is going to get 400 ABs??? All while McCann himself mentioned yesterday that both he AND Adley could be asked to fill in there on occasion. Where are all these at bats coming from? 

O's are going to combat the banning of extreme shifts by having two first basemen.

Also no one said regular first base option for McCann.

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Has anyone said McCann is going to get regular at bats or are you just making that up?

1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

Bob Nightengale on Twitter: "James McCann, who spoke to ...

This is more regular than I would have expected.  Now this may be late game subs, but it sounds pretty regular.

Half of those games are at C.

Connolly reported 60-80 games with C, DH and first.

Hes not starting 40 games at first.

He shouldn’t even start 1 unless injuries or weird circumstances dictate it.

And I’m asking that question to LTO because of his last post.  “Anyone” being people on here that he is saying are saying that.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Half of those games are at C.

Connolly reported 60-80 games with C, DH and first.

Hes not starting 40 games at first.

He shouldn’t even start 1 unless injuries or weird circumstances dictate it.

And I’m asking that question to LTO because of his last post.  “Anyone” being people on here that he is saying are saying that.

He said regular 1B, so fair.

If he gets into 80 games, I would call it regular.  I think McCann will get more at-bats than Frazer or O'Hearn though.