Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

6 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

The Red Sox just DFA’d Connor Seabold.  Can we throw a bit more cash their way?

https://soxprospects.com/players/seabold-connor.htm

Seems like a guy to stash in AAA, but you don’t want him on your 40 man. Also, interesting that the Red Sox are cutting the fat from their SP options. Almost like they’re about to make a trade with the Marlins. 

Hernandez looks to me that he needs work on his preparation and routine. He’s a sloppy bodied, but athletic, hard throwing LHP. I remember looking at him a few years ago thinking he was a bright looking prospect brought up too soon. Lots of possible upside here. 

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Saying the pickup/move was solid, i.e. taking a flyer on a guy with good K numbers who had success in the past.  His ERA is bloated from his awful 2022.  Do I think he's the next Cionel Perez? Not necessarily - but it is solid insofar that it is no risk, some reward. 

Fair enough ….don’t care about Diaz. The numbers are simply awful.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Diaz cleared waivers and was outrighted to Norfolk. 

A lot of posters complained about the Diaz and O'Hearn acquisitions, but personally I think Elias used some persistence and resourcefulness to build some AAA depth at 1B (which was previously a black hole) in case of a Mountcastle injury.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

A lot of posters complained about the Diaz and O'Hearn acquisitions, but personally I think Elias used some persistence and resourcefulness to build some AAA depth at 1B (which was previously a black hole) in case of a Mountcastle injury.

I guess there is some degree of value in certainty but I think Elias is overspending for it considering what his overall budget seems to be.  I'd rather troll the waiver wire than break the glass on these guys in case of emergency.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess there is some degree of value in certainty but I think Elias is overspending for it considering what his overall budget seems to be.  I'd rather troll the waiver wire than break the glass on these guys in case of emergency.

I respectfully disagree. $1.4 million (give or take) for O'Hearn is the bulk of the total expenditure for both O'Hearn and Diaz (and I believe the Braves actually wound up paying the Orioles in the end?), and that's really chump change in the grand scheme of things.

I do agree with many posters that instead of spending on Frazier and Gibson, it would have been preferable to spend that same amount of money on a superior SP. But I have no problem with Elias building depth in the way that he has. If he signs Wacha, then we'll actually have a lot of solid SP options. None world-beaters outside of GrayRod, but the starting rotation would be fairly protected against injuries, and if one or two guys improve, even with a couple SP options like Bradish, Kremer, Voth, or Wells regressing, in the end I think the rotation will be good enough to make the playoffs. 

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

I respectfully disagree. $1.4 million (give or take) for O'Hearn is the bulk of the total expenditure for both O'Hearn and Diaz (and I believe the Braves actually wound up paying the Orioles in the end?), and that's really chump change in the grand scheme of things.

I do agree with many posters that instead of spending on Frazier and Gibson, it would have been preferable to spend that same amount of money on a superior SP. But I have no problem with Elias building depth in the way that he has. If he signs Wacha, then we'll actually have a lot of solid SP options. None world-beaters outside of GrayRod, but the starting rotation would be fairly protected against injuries, and if one or two guys improve, even with a couple SP options like Bradish, Kremer, Voth, oe Wells regressing, in the end I think the rotation will be good enough to make the playoffs. 

I'd say it was chump change for another organization.  If a team with a healthy budget was doing it I'd be fine with it.

Glad to see Diaz get through. 

Norfolk's 4 most used first basemen last year were Patrick Dorian (.525 OPS), Kelvin Gutierez (.699) Jacob Nottingham (.759) and Cadyn Grenier (.653). 

When your 27-year-old journeyman catcher is your best hitting first baseman, it is clear that you have a hole at the position.

Diaz is currently playing in the LIDOM finals for Estrellas. Game 4 of the best of 7 series is tonight, Estrellas trails Licey 2 games to 1. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where would you have liked to see that $1 mil spent instead?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gary Thorne.

Keep the coaches that where let go over money.

Going toward players that are projected to be on the MLB roster.

I'll give you credit. You sure know how to keep harping on meaningless things way more than most.