MLB Pipeline's Top 10 RHP Prospects for 2023

SpOkane

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Veen, Lawlar  and Druw Jones*

or

Kjerstad, Cowser, Holliday

*assuming if we took Lawlar, that they take Jones over Holliday

Which trio would you rather have?

It’s a good question. I think I will stick with who they took, but I would add that the bonus demands of Lawlar were a factor here.

I wanted Veen at the time, but I think I will take Kjerstad still. Kjerstad may just become the corner OF power bat in the 4-5 slot in the batting order we hoped he would become. This is a big year for him. If he improves and advances to AAA, I like his chances. 

I wanted Lawlar too, but I will take Cowser there because of his overall hit tool. I do not buy the CF talk with him, but maybe I am missing something. A LH hitter who may add more power as he gets older and figures out how to add loft when appropriate. The bonus demands were pretty high as well in Lawlar and he missed the summer of 2021 with shoulder issues. 

I admit to wanting Jones in 2022 as well, but Holliday was close when the draft came. He was quite impressive with his discipline, while Jones was sidelined with a shoulder injury.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next few years. Perhaps all of them end up being very good and there was not a wrong choice among them. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I may eat these words, but in my opinion,  Yankee prospect Anthony Volpe is overrated.  I like Ortiz better.   

I think it really comes down to how well Ortiz hits. I think Ortiz is better defensively but I view Volpe as more well rounded and seems to have a polished hit tool. But if that back half of 2022 isn't a flash in the pan then I think Ortiz will be better.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Veen, Lawlar  and Druw Jones*

or

Kjerstad, Cowser, Holliday

*assuming if we took Lawlar, that they take Jones over Holliday

Which trio would you rather have?

I still have questions about Veen and Kjerstad's hit tool.  But Veen's speed gives him a more solid floor.  But I'd go Veen.

Jones hasn't played a game yet (though he was my #1 pick last year) and Cowser had big gaps against LHP last year.  Similar deal that Jones' defense will give him the floor, but I still believe in Cowser's hit tool and power.  Jones.

Lawlar is obviously further along, but Holliday has certainly hit the ground running.  This is a bit of a bump balancing the risk and upside.

Today, I'd lean toward the first trio... in a bubble...

The other thing to consider in that question are trade values.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying if we had Veen or Lawlar that Elias would be looking to trade either. What I am saying is that it’s unquestioned that right now, those 2 carry more trade value. That could be important come July if the right player is there and you decided to make moves.

That said, by July, Cowser and Kjerstad could be carrying similar or more trade value, as things can change quickly w/r/t that stuff.