Adley Rutschman - The 2023 Plan

wildcard

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt any other of the O's DH candidates will out hit Adley.

No, but Adley is way more productive at C than our next best catcher than he is our next best DH. So I would incline to maximize his games at C and ending up around 150.

MLB leader last year was Murphy 148. 150 target for Adley would be very aggressive.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should Bautista pitch in 90+ games?  Should Grayson get 60 starts?

Not the same thing at all.  The DH allows a hitter to play the game without the wear of playing the field.  If a hitter gets on base 30 to 40  percent of the time that means 60 to 70 percent that hitter is just walking back to the dugout after his at bat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

6 games off.  One a month?  Really.   The O's are trying to make the playoffs.

You don’t make the playoffs by running your star catcher into the ground.  Mauer for example never played in more than 146 games in the years when he was playing C.   I think that’s about what Adley will play.   He played 113 of 122 last year.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I stopped reading when I did your math and realized you think Adley’s gonna play in all 162. 

I know you’re all excited about the season but c’mon. 

Buck definitely would have tried to play Adley 162 games (or close to it), but there’s no way Elias will allow it even if Hyde thought about doing it.