BR Trade Proposals

MarCakes21

Bleacher Report has put together packages of trades given most of the offseason signings are complete:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10063751-fresh-trade-packages-for-mlbs-top-rumored-targets?fbclid=IwAR1mJ7FaI9Nf7UEn_TXOkCH-tqdaXfx0tveR1Fwg5VAWIytS_p5lBbLvK-o

Two are relevant for the O's:

Mateo to LAA for Jo Adell - personally I pass.  While I think we could improve our outfield, this is a pass for me.  I think we can get more in an area of great weakness (SP) for Mateo.

Bryan Reynolds to LAD for Miller, Pepoit, and Outman - I think this has relevance for a Mullins trade.  Reynolds is likely worth more, but I would expect a similar haul in return if we were to trade Mullins.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Jo Adell is on a freight train to Bust Town.  I'd pass on that, too.

I'm curious to see what we can get for Mullins.  I think we could get two solid prospects from a system in return for Mullins and maybe a Dominican scratch off ticket, too.  Your assumption that Reynolds is worth more is incorrect, at least based on last season.  Mullins had a higher WAR.

I think Tony has posted the information but I do believe Mullins' sprint speed has decreased over the past couple years and that's not going to get any better.  If we're going to move him, now's the time to do it.  I'm not actively beating the drum to trade him but I would be listening to offers.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jo Adell is on a freight train to Bust Town.  I'd pass on that, too.

I'm curious to see what we can get for Mullins.  I think we could get two solid prospects from a system in return for Mullins and maybe a Dominican scratch off ticket, too.  Your assumption that Reynolds is worth more is incorrect, at least based on last season.  Mullins had a higher WAR.

I think Tony has posted the information but I do believe Mullins' sprint speed has decreased over the past couple years and that's not going to get any better.  If we're going to move him, now's the time to do it.  I'm not actively beating the drum to trade him but I would be listening to offers.

Who do you think the O's should replace Mullins with?  They are trying to win now.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adell is similar to what Mateo used to be..very toolsy, highly ranked, high upside with a big bust potential.

Adell’s MiL offensive numbers are much more impressive than Mateo’s were.  There’s quite a disconnect between his MiL and MLB performance.  That said, his K rate has increased steadily as he’s moved up the latter.  He’d be a project. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who do you think the O's should replace Mullins with?  They are trying to win now.

....I didn't say we should trade him.  I said I'd listen to offers.  I don't think his value is going to increase right now.  If anything, it's going to start to slip a little.

I like Mullins.  But this is a funny anecdote that happened the other day and I'll share it here because I'm bored, it was a weird and funny moment and I also think people overrate Mullins just a little bit.

So I'm at this baseball card shop near my house and I'm talking to the guy behind the counter and we're talking about Rutschman.  I'm telling him that I'm an Orioles fan and that I'm looking to gobble up some of the Rutschman cards that are out there because I really like him and also because, well, they're going to increase in value over time, most likely.  

So he asks me "What do you think of the leadership of the Orioles?," which is a vague question.  Leadership as in the Angelos clan?  Elias and Sig?  Veteran players?  So I didn't really know what to say but I said "Overall, pretty good," because like Meat Loaf sang, "Two out of three ain't bad."

Then he asked me what I thought of Mullins and I was told him that I liked Mullins and I hope he can get back closer to his 2021 season his year.  

Unprovoked, he goes "I think he's a future Hall of Famer."  Said it as confident as could be, no hint of sarcasm or anything.

I said, "Really?"

And he just nodded.  "Yup.  He's a future Hall of Famer."

"Well, I never really thought of him that way but maybe I should reconsider that," and I paid for my cards and left.  

Now, WC, I'm not saying you think Mullins is a future Hall of Famer but I also don't think Mullins is completely irreplaceable.  I do believe his 2021 season is an outlier.  He can still be a 3 or 4 win player but I don't know how long he's going to be able to maintain his speed and that's a key component to his game.

As far as who to replace him with?  I hope Cowser rakes and shows he can play CF this year, that would be my pick as a replacement, initially.  I'm also hoping Fabian mashes and can show that he can play CF, too and is knocking on the door in 2024.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

....I didn't say we should trade him.  I said I'd listen to offers.  

I like Mullins.  But this is a funny anecdote that happened the other day and I'll share it here because I'm bored, it was a weird and funny moment and I also think people overrate Mullins just a little bit.

So I'm at this baseball card shop near my house and I'm talking to the guy behind the counter and we're talking about Rutschman.  I'm telling him that I'm an Orioles fan and that I'm looking to gobble up some of the Rutschman cards that are out there because I really like him and also because, well, they're going to increase in value over time, most likely.  

So he asks me "What do you think of the leadership of the Orioles?," which is a vague question.  Leadership as in the Angelos clan?  Elias and Sig?  Veteran players?  So I didn't really know what to say but I said "Overall, pretty good," because like Meat Loaf sang, "Two out of three ain't bad."

Then he asked me what I thought of Mullins and I was told him that I liked Mullins and I hope he can get back closer to his 2021 season his year.  

Unprovoked, he goes "I think he's a future Hall of Famer."  Said it as confident as could be, no hint of sarcasm or anything.

I said, "Really?"

"Well, I never really thought of him that way but maybe I should reconsider that," and I paid for my cards and left.  

Now, WC, I'm not saying you think Mullins is a future Hall of Famer but I also don't think Mullins is completely irreplaceable.  I do believe his 2021 season is an outlier.  He can still be a 3 or 4 win player but I don't know how long he's going to be able to maintain his speed and that's a key component to his game.

As far as who to replace him with?  I hope Cowser rakes and shows he can play CF this year, that would be my pick as a replacement, initially.  I'm also hoping Fabian mashes and can show that he can play CF, too and is knocking on the door in 2024.

Future HOFer?  How did you contain the laughter?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Future HOFer?  How did you contain the laughter?

I almost laughed, but I caught myself.  It would have been more of a snicker than a laugh and that would have been rude.  I just smiled and tried my best to look confused when he said that. 

The thing was is that we were having a decent conversation up until that point, he wasn't completely ignorant to baseball.  I mean, the shop sells other stuff than baseball cards so I didn't know if he was more coherent when it came to other sports but he knew what he was talking about up until that point.  Really nice guy but that was just weird and I didn't want to laugh at him to make him feel bad.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

....I didn't say we should trade him.  I said I'd listen to offers.  I don't think his value is going to increase right now.  If anything, it's going to start to slip a little.

I said, "Really?"

But neither Cowser or Fabian are really for the majors now.   And I am not sure that Cowser is a MLB CFer.

I think Mullins can be replaced at some point.  Its just I don't see the O's having a replacement now.    In fact I think Mullins may be a platoon player this season with McKenna.  Mullins didn't hit lefties last year and he is very aware of it.  He said at the O's Caravan that he was working off the pitching machines to hit lefties.

However,  hitting off a machine is not like taking pitches from a left-handed pitchers.  That is what he should be doing in ST but he decided to go to the WBC.   I don't like that decision.   He could be back for the last two weeks of ST but that is not like getting 6 weeks of practice vs lefties.  

I just don't see a better player(s) in CF  that is available to the O's than Mullins/McKenna.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

Mateo to LAA for Jo Adell - personally I pass.  While I think we could improve our outfield, this is a pass for me.  I think we can get more in an area of great weakness (SP) for Mateo.

If Elias and the O's scouting team think they can fix Adell's strikeout rate why not make this trade? Mateo is four years older and has already peaked (no where to go but down offensively). And the Orioles can replace him with Urias short term and Holliday long term. 

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Addell's 90th percentile outcome is probably Anthony Santander. His 40-50th percentile outcome is DJ Stewart. He is the type of player that a non-competitive team like the Angels should be giving opportunities to, not a theoretically competitive one like the Orioles.

I get where you're coming from, but is Joe Adell's floor really that much lower than Austin Hays ceiling? I really don't think it is. And I'd only be interested in him if Elias felt like he could fix his K rate. 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I almost laughed, but I caught myself.  It would have been more of a snicker than a laugh and that would have been rude.  I just smiled and tried my best to look confused when he said that. 

The thing was is that we were having a decent conversation up until that point, he wasn't completely ignorant to baseball.  I mean, the shop sells other stuff than baseball cards so I didn't know if he was more coherent when it came to other sports but he knew what he was talking about up until that point.  Really nice guy but that was just weird and I didn't want to laugh at him to make him feel bad.

Principles of good salesmanship - encourage your customer's emotional investment in the product.

Talking Orioles with friends/neighbors out in the real world, it'd almost be helpful if there was like an OH symbol or something so you know you could advance to Message Board-level depth without an "Are you crazy" look from Joe Public.

• Haha 1