Schoenfeld gives Os offseason a D+

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He may be limited but he’s still a 3-4 WAR CFer, which is rare. He should still be at that level for another year or 2 and he makes very little money.

Thats highly valued. It’s absurd to insinuate that it’s not.

Exactly, which is why he would be difficult to replace, and reasons not to trade him. I just don't see why we would think he is *over* valued. Of course I would be in favor of any trade where we get excess value back. The more difficult question is whether it would make sense to trade Mullins assuming equal value. 

The players that make the most sense to trade for equal value are ones where we have MLB ready prospects to replace them, like Urias, Mateo, and Hays. For what it's worth, I'm glad we didn't trade him for Lopez. Lopez is better than Irvin but I'd rather have Irvin for what we have up than Lopez at the cost of Mullins.

16 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly, which is why he would be difficult to replace, and reasons not to trade him. I just don't see why we would think he is *over* valued. Of course I would be in favor of any trade where we get excess value back. The more difficult question is whether it would make sense to trade Mullins assuming equal value. 

The players that make the most sense to trade for equal value are ones where we have MLB ready prospects to replace them, like Urias, Mateo, and Hays. For what it's worth, I'm glad we didn't trade him for Lopez. Lopez is better than Irvin but I'd rather have Irvin for what we have up than Lopez at the cost of Mullins.

Just wondering who you think is ready to replace Hays.  Cowser is not ready yet.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Just wondering who you think is ready to replace Hays.  Cowser is not ready yet.

Westburg could play 2B with Frazier in LF. We could also get by with Vavra and Stowers LF/DH for a month or two until Cowser is ready. You could also push Cowser and let him develop at the MLB level and just give him a long leash. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Westburg could play 2B with Frazier in LF. We could also get by with Vavra and Stowers LF/DH for a month or two until Cowser is ready. You could also push Cowser and let him develop at the MLB level and just give him a long leash. 

None of those players have Hays speed according to Baseball Savant.   Here are their sprint speeds:  Frazier: 37, Vavra: 45, Stowers: 43.  They don't compare well to Hays: 61.    And Elias certainly does not rush his prospects.  So its unlikely he would rush Cowser to the majors.  Left field is large in Camden.

That is why I don't see the O's trading Hays until they have a better replacement.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

None of those players have Hays speed according to Baseball Savant.   Here are their sprint speeds:  Frazier: 37, Vavra: 45, Stowers: 43.  They don't compare well to Hays: 61.    And Elias certainly does not rush his prospects.  So its unlikely he would rush Cowser to the majors.  Left field is large in Camden.

That is why I don't see the O's trading Hays until they have a better replacement.

What matters is how much overall production we would gain or lose out of LF if Hays were traded. I agree the above options would all be defensive downgrade, but could be net-even or close. Whether we come out ahead would depend on what we get back for Hays. If a trade improved us in other areas, I think we could live with Frazier/Stowers/Vavra in LF. Especially if moving Frazier to LF gives Westburg a place to play.