Tate to begin year on IL plus other notes

eddie83

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias has known this. Not saying it makes it better. It explains the Givens signing, which looks now like insurance for Tate. It also explains how Gilaspie survived the waiver wire.  Khreibel is not as buried as some think. 

Sure. He knew about Tate since November. Knew all of it. 

I’ve been saying all winter the depth is much better. I’m just concerned right now about back end of pen. Not like this team is going to have a bunch on dominant starts.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

See, this is why I never bother with these January/February “who will be on the opening day roster” exercises.  First day of camp and the picture has already changed considerably for health reasons.  And it won’t be the last time this spring that someone has a health setback.  

Probably hear when the position players report, that one or more had a procedure in the off season. I think Mullins had one and someone else I can't remember. 

Givens is a big signing. Although losing Tate for the first month of the season is really not that big of a deal. This team isn't going to sink missing one late-inning reliever for a month. Or even two, IMO. 

Obviously if we lose one or two of these guys for the season, we'll have to scramble a little bit. But to me, until I hear otherwise, this reads as: "You won't see much of Bautista or Hall this spring, but they're fine and will be ready for OD. Tate is out for April." No biggie IMO. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if Tate pitches this year?

If it was Tommy John, they'd know and he'd already have had the surgery. It's one month. Forearm strains are more common than people think and if there was a connection to TJS, we'd already know. 

Also, judging by Tate's comments and his upbeat vibe so far, I'm really not worried about it. They've had since November to figure out what the injury is, and I'm sure they're slow playing him and he's on some kind of throwing progression that won't be complete until he has his spring training in April instead of March. 

Edited by interloper

My biggest concern with this, is I hope they don't rush any of these guys back early in the year. Between Perez, Baker, Givens, Wells, Voth, Akin, etc. Hyde can piece together this bullpen for a month. What I don't want is for Bautista and Tate to come back too early, and now they have nagging injuries all year that hurt their performance. Get these guys completely healthy before you even think of having them pitch.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So maybe Felix didn’t have an injury to his shoulder?

Why do you say that?  They said he had “shoulder fatigue” last September and then told him to not throw all winter and do a shoulder strengthening program.  It might be semantics but they are certainly trying to prevent an injury.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why do you say that?  They said he had “shoulder fatigue” last September and then told him to not throw all winter and do a shoulder strengthening program.  It might be semantics but they are certainly trying to prevent an injury.

Trying to prevent an injury and having an injury are 2 different things.