2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Is your argument that the process and decision-making that has gone on up until today is not the reason they are in first place, and they have continued to win despite being continuously hamstrung by Mike Elias? That would be a hard pill for me to swallow.

No, I'm critcizing the specific decisions which I believe will ultimately cost the team a couple of games in the standings. Games which could make the difference between winning the division and only getting a wild card.

Just because I think Elias and Hyde are making these particular mistakes does not mean I'm lumping all of their decisions together. Especially not as it pertains to Elias, who obviously is the architect of this team.

I shouldn't need to clarify that, but your question is standard OH argumentation. But I'll clarify nevertheless.

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

No, I'm critcizing the specific decisions which I believe will ultimately cost the team a couple of games in the standings. Games which could make the difference between winning the division and only getting a wild card.

Just because I think Elias and Hyde are making these particular mistakes does not mean I'm lumping all of their decisions together. Especially not as it pertains to Elias, who obviously is the architect of this team.

I shouldn't need to clarify that, but your question is standard OH argumentation. But I'll clarify nevertheless.

There’s no way that Hicks up instead of Cowser will cost them a couple of games. It’s unlikely to have any impact on the number they win or lose. 

3 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Meet me at a game at Oriole Park and we can have an adult discussion. I'll buy you a beer. Otherwise, quit trolling and adding nothing of substance.

Why would I want to have a discussion with you? You just repeat the same stuff over and over. You add nothing of substance, just your tired opinion.

Maybe you should have an adult discussion with Elias behind home plate and let him know that the success of the organization is in spite of him.

Edited by DirtyBird

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

I get it, I guess. I would argue that potential doesn't win games but results do, and what they've been doing is winning games. I do believe that running Cowser out as a full time player with a .400 OPS and meh defense had they kept him up here would have resulted in us having a worse record today.

I can't remember a single time when future potential made a team better than actual production on the field. I'm sure Frazier is in there because Gallen is a RHP and as we've seen in the first two games, just making contact, that turf plays oddly and anything can happen.

31 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

They have to be really bad in an Orioles unform before they really believe they're bad.

Which Hicks hasn’t done.  He has a .795 OPS in an Oriole uniform and has been worth 0.6 rWAR in 43 games.   I can’t imagine why Hyde would prefer him to Cowser, who has a .433 OPS and has been worth -0.8 rWAR in 26 games.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which Hicks hasn’t done.  He has a .795 OPS in an Oriole uniform and has been worth 0.6 rWAR in 43 games.   I can’t imagine why Hyde would prefer him to Cowser, who has a .433 OPS and has been worth -0.8 rWAR in 26 games.  

How has Hicks been since about June 20?

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

His first game was May 31st but he still has a .795 OPS for us in that stretch. Not saying he's going to continue to do that, but yeah.

Starting on June 21, his OpS is 633. He has been injured twice. I will give him credit in that his BB rate is still 11%, so he is still drawing the occasional walk although his OBp is still under 300 in that time frame (which covers 92 PA).

I don’t see why you have both Frazier and Hicks on the team. They basically do the same thing, just different positions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Starting on June 21, his OpS is 633. He has been injured twice. I will give him credit in that his BB rate is still 11%, so he is still drawing the occasional walk although his OBp is still under 300 in that time frame (which covers 92 PA).

I don’t see why you have both Frazier and Hicks on the team. They basically do the same thing, just different positions.

I don't know if he was actually playing through injury or a little dinged up. They seem redundant with the bat (Frazier and Hicks) but at least they aren't both IF. I'm sure they want to see how he looks to determine if he's worth a playoff roster spot.

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

So far Cowser has not proven he can hit MLB pitching.  He is hitting .115.  I think McKenna is better than Cowser at this point.  Hopefully Cowser  will figure it out next year.  I hope he goes to AFL this off season.

I'm pretty sure the plan was supposed to be a development year for Cowser and they were going to live with the growing pains. The team showed up a year early and when they kept continuing to win, I think that likely put a damper on running Cowser out there in a daily role.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How has Hicks been since about June 20?

He’s hitting .667 since Jujy 25. 😇

Look, if Hicks when we signed him had played like Cowser did the first two weeks he was on the team, he would have been released.  But he didn’t.   He played well when we absolutely needed him to, and that’s going to earn him some rope.  

Convrrsely, if Cowser had played like Hicks did in his first few weeks with the Orioles, he never would have been sent back down.  But he didn’t.  He didn’t take advantage of his opportunity the way Hicks did.   And that why Hicks is getting the opportunity now.