2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

The only reason that I can think of as to why they keep guys like Benboom, Vavra, and McKenna on the roster. And keep the more talented guys down at AAA is because they want them to retain their peak value for when it is time to make a trade? Otherwise, it’s make no logical sense.

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think Elias has done a great job... except he seems hesitant to change his mind on some of his ideas.

I don't know about that. He flipped like a pancake twice on his ideas about Grayson Rodriguez. Hyping him up like they were going to break camp with him, then sending him down to get built up for momentum in AAA, then changing his mind again very quickly to call him up like a week later. And let's not forget the change of mind on "It's lift off".

Seems to me like he's willing to change his mind quite often. *Shrug*

Edited by Billy F-Face3

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The only reason that I can think of as to why they keep guys like Benboom, Vavra, and McKenna on the roster. And keep the more talented guys down at AAA is because they want them to retain their peak value for when it is time to make a trade? Otherwise, it’s make no logical sense.

Bench players can sit and not play. Everyday players need to play.

These 2 categories are apples and oranges.

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Once upon a time Vavra had an .880 OPS and McKenna over 1.000 at Norfolk.   I do believe Westburg is and will be better than either but he’d be sitting a lot if he were here.

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't know about that. He flipped like a pancake twice on his ideas about Grayson Rodriguez. Hyping him up like they were going to break camp with him, then sending him down to get built up for momentum in AAA, then changing his mind again very quickly to call him up like a week later. And let's not forget the change of mind on "It's lift off".

I dunno if it’s as easy as he “changes his mind”. More like he adapts to what’s happening. We all kinda expected Rodriguez to come into ST looking like he belongs, he didn’t do that. Then Bradish got hurt and opened up a spot that aligned with where Rodriguez would be pitching. It’s not like he’s just changing his mind haphazardly 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Well, Rodriguez would most likely be sitting in AAA still has it not been for an injury and it lined up for Rodriguez to pitch as the only option. 

Lift off... perhaps this off season is his version of lift off?

*Shrug*

True. But borderline starters like Hays and Urias can be replaced as well. I don’t think Mateo is going until Holiday is ready to come up, Unless his play proves otherwise.

I guess, my thought was maybe the idea of keeping better players in AAA is so that they can retain max value for a trade that brings back the type of pitching we do not currently possess?

32 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think Elias has done a great job... except he seems hesitant to change his mind on some of his ideas.

I also think Elias has done a great job and I think he's a great GM overall. But he's not perfect, and he's botched a lot of major league roster decisions going back to last season. Sticking with Odor and Aguilar and not promoting Westburg and not giving Stowers and Vavra more playing time cost the team a spot in the playoffs last season.

Elias has to be better with his roster construction, and the most pressing needs currently are to get Westburg up to the majors and get Bemboom and McKenna off the roster (and make sure to never have the team be in a position where McCann is DHing). I know Bemboom is as good as gone after this Oakland series, but we'd be better off with Westburg on the roster immediately. Elias is leaving the team too susceptible to LHP starters.

Just because I criticize Elias for poor roster management doesn't mean I think he's a bad GM (and I'm not suggesting that's what you were saying or implying - just clarifying on my end). But he needs to be better in that area - it's quite obviously the most important part of his job now that the rebuild he successfully orchestrated is over.

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I also think Elias has done a great job and I think he's a great GM overall. But he's not perfect, and he's botched a lot of major league roster decisions going back to last season. Sticking with Odor and Aguilar and not promoting Westburg and not giving Stowers and Vavra more playing time cost the team a spot in the playoffs last season.

Elias has to be better with his roster construction, and the most pressing needs currently are to get Westburg up to the majors and get Bemboom and McKenna off the roster (and make sure to never have the team be in a position where McCann is DHing). I know Bemboom is as good as gone after this Oakland series, but we'd be better off with Westburg on the roster immediately. Elias is leaving the team too susceptible to LHP starters.

Just because I criticize Elias for poor roster management doesn't mean I think he's a bad GM (and I'm not suggesting that's what you were saying or implying - just clarifying on my end). But he needs to be better in that area - it's quite obviously the most important part of his job now that the rebuild he successfully orchestrated is over.

Don't forget the brilliant Brett Phillips trade

34 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Don't forget the brilliant Brett Phillips trade

For real. At least he cut bait on Phillips fairly quickly. Allowing Odor to stay on the major league roster the whole season was negligent, however. Even after the team announced that veterans like Odor would be playing less in favor of younger players like Gunnar, Stowers, and Vavra, Odor still made a lot of starts. Terrible.

Edited by Brooks The Great

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't hate this lineup. I like Mullins batting 9th against the lefty - it was annoying to me that he had success doing that in Boston but then they abandoned it. So that's good to see. And Hays is hot and saw a bunch of pitches yesterday so why not. And I at least want to see what McCann looks like against a lefty or two. Might as well if they are doing this 3 catcher thing, and McKenna was a non-factor at the plate yesterday anyway. 

I think the Orioles want to find out too.