2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, forphase1 said:

It doesn't HAVE to be a RH bat, unless you are tied to the idea that left on left never works.  Colton Cowser, for example, has a 1.065 OPS against RH pitchers BUT a 1.125 OPS against lefties.  Now I know it's a small sample size and minor league numbers, but it doesn't HAVE to a only a RH bat that we are talking about.  

And other than service time, again, like Westburg, I can't come up with any reason for Cowser not to be up here. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And other than service time, again, like Westburg, I can't come up with any reason for Cowser not to be up here. 

Jordan Westburg is 24. If he started the season with the Orioles, we would have him at least through his age 30 season before he could hit FA. That is most of his prime, possibly all of it.

I don’t see how service time could be a legitimate factor. 

I hope the Orioles or worse yet Major League Baseball are not trying to rob guys of every hitting the market during any prime years by intentionally delaying call-ups. That would be a really crappy thing to do to prevent guys from maximizing their earning potential during their limited window that they have.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope the Orioles or worse yet Major League Baseball are not trying to rob guys of every hitting the market during any prime years by intentionally delaying call-ups. That would be a really crappy thing to do to prevent guys from maximizing their earning potential during their limited window that they have.

Pretty much every baseball team has been doing exactly that for many years. In general, I think if a team isn't ready to put a prospect in the lineup on Opening Day, they are going to try to manipulate service time for financial advantage. That means delaying eligibility for free agency and/or arbitration. 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

The OH Monkey's Paw - everyone wanted Mountcastle to sit

Not against lefties. There must be something wrong with him because basically the Orioles are choosing to have McCann DH over Mountcastle against left-handers which is the only thing he's hit well against.

3 minutes ago, celery said:

Before the lineup was announced, someone on Facebook who claims their son is good friends with Mounty said that he was having dizzy spells and was gonna get tests. Sounded like BS until the lineup came out. 

And now Roch saying he is out with an illness

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

Pretty much every baseball team has been doing exactly that for many years. In general, I think if a team isn't ready to put a prospect in the lineup on Opening Day, they are going to try to manipulate service time for financial advantage. That means delaying eligibility for free agency and/or arbitration. 

I would add that the 40-man roster move isn't trivial. It's a one way ratchet, once you add him, there's no removing unless you are fine with losing the player (obvious caveats like the 60-day IL, etc.).

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I hope he's going to be OK, but if he truly is having issues with dizziness, he may need a trip to the IL.

It could be a number of things. When a relative of mine had dizzy spells and went to the ER, it turned out that she had Vertigo. Which thankfully wasn't that serious. Hopefully Mounty will be OK and recover quickly.