Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm feeling a vibe that Kjerstad has the most consistent power of any player in our minor league system. 

I say Kjerstad needs to be the 1B of the future for the Orioles. At this point if I was Elias, I'd be tempted to call Kjerstad up over Mountcastle. I don't see that happening, but Mountcastle has gotten worse each season as a hitter.

1 hour ago, deward said:

I would argue that keeping Kjerstad down until this time next year, given that he's probably ready now, would be an incredible waste. It would make all the sense in the world to trade Santander before he hits FA in order to open up a spot. Kjerstad may very well be better than Santander right now.

I agree. I think they should get Santander more frequent work at 1B starting now and Kjerstad ~100 MLB ABs in September to evaluate how they should approach the off-season. If Kjerstad is ready and neither him or Santander can play 1B, Santander should be dealt a year ahead of his free agency. But after how the Orioles approached Westburg this year with signing Frazier, I’m not sure they will agree. 

Assuming no big trades or injuries, I think it boils down to Santander, O'Hearn and Kjerstad (and I guess Mountcastle if he can revive) for the 1B/DH roles for the playoffs chase and however long it lasts.

One of those things is not like the other, for me at least, though O'Hearn is teflon as long as the performances stay hot.     He does have Rick Dempsey beat 89-87 at career OPS+.    It might be that Orioles player development is all he needed to become about the same as Matt Olson/Paul Goldschmidt in 2023.

I think if Mayo forces his way into this fall's conversation, its at 3B.

On 7/6/2023 at 11:03 AM, CaptainRedbeard said:

I agree. I think they should get Santander more frequent work at 1B starting now and Kjerstad ~100 MLB ABs in September to evaluate how they should approach the off-season. If Kjerstad is ready and neither him or Santander can play 1B, Santander should be dealt a year ahead of his free agency. But after how the Orioles approached Westburg this year with signing Frazier, I’m not sure they will agree. 

I would love to have Kjerstad's bat as soon as possible. But I disagree with the whole experimenting with him at 1B in September notion. We don't have the type of team/situation that can afford that type of luxury. We will be in the stretch run, getting ready for the postseason. We can't afford to give away games/runs while we find out what he can do at 1B. If his defense is that much of a concern, let him DH for now and then figure out the situation in Spring Training. Or move one of the current OF in the offseason and then that clears the deck for him to start next year in the OF.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Futures game?

YEP..  Forgot he was on Roster.  More chatter about Mayo lately got me spinning

American League[edit]
P: Clayton Beeter, Jonathan Cannon, Joey Cantillo, Shane Drohan, David Festa, Will Klein, Sem Robberse, Owen White, Yosver Zulueta
😄 Harry Ford, Edgar Quero, Tyler Soderstrom
IF: Junior Caminero, Jackson Holliday, Colt Keith, Justyn-Henry Malloy, Kyle Manzardo, Marcelo Mayer, Kyren Paris, Nick Yorke
OF: Lawrence Butler, Jonatan Clase, Drew Gilbert, Spencer Jones, Heston Kjerstad

5 hours ago, CHIP said:

TRADED?

Date    Transaction
07/07/23    Norfolk Tides placed OF Heston Kjerstad on the temporarily inactive list.

Holy crap man! You almost gave me a heart attack (technically I guess a second heart attack). 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I would love to have Kjerstad's bat as soon as possible. But I disagree with the whole experimenting with him at 1B in September notion. We don't have the type of team/situation that can afford that type of luxury. We will be in the stretch run, getting ready for the postseason. We can't afford to give away games/runs while we find out what he can do at 1B. If his defense is that much of a concern, let him DH for now and then figure out the situation in Spring Training. Or move one of the current OF in the offseason and then that clears the deck for him to start next year in the OF.

I agree. He should be on the roster in September and the postseason (where you don't need anywhere near 13 pitchers, 10 is plenty). But he shouldn't have the pressure of playing a new position on that stage.

Play him in the corner outfield or DH and have him pinch-hit.

If he ends up being penciled in at first in 2024, he has all winter and spring to work on it.

12 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm trying to recall who people were clamoring for at the time. Wasn't it Martin? 

No idea. But is there a thread I'm missing to discuss his years draft for Sunday? The player I like the most has chance to go 1st overall so not any likelihood of him being an Oriole, lol. (Paul Skenes). A recent mock draft suggested we were looking at ANOTHER shortstop.