Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I definitely expected/hoped to be more excited about a Grayson call up than I am. 

But you’re still excited right?  Is it better than DL’s start in St Pete last year?   Elias knows how to scramble our wits and I love it!  🤩

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I definitely expected/hoped to be more excited about a Grayson call up than I am. 

Yeah.  I'm excited because it's him, but I'm also wincing at the fact that he had a rough spring and the team doesn't seem to know what they're doing.  

I agree with an above post, if he's going to be a bust, he's going to be a bust...at some point you've gotta throw him to the wolves and see what you've got.  For the reading comprehension impaired, I'm not predicting that he will be a bust, I'm saying that the possibility exists.

I was thinking they'd call up Watkins and I'd have been okay with that.  I'm excited to see G-Rod pitch at the ML level but after that spring training he had, the first MiL start...I mean, it's obvious that he has some stuff that he needs to iron out.  And that's okay, that's acceptable.

What seems a bit weird is that he's their first option to go to after taking the time to explain to everyone that he needs more refining after the bad spring training.  It seems like a bit of a knee-jerk move but whatever.  Maybe we'll be surprised today and he'll be just fine.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah.  I'm excited because it's him, but I'm also wincing at the fact that he had a rough spring and the team doesn't seem to know what they're doing.  

I agree with an above post, if he's going to be a bust, he's going to be a bust...at some point you've gotta throw him to the wolves and see what you've got.  For the reading comprehension impaired, I'm not predicting that he will be a bust, I'm saying that the possibility exists.

I was thinking they'd call up Watkins and I'd have been okay with that.  I'm excited to see G-Rod pitch at the ML level but after that spring training he had, the first MiL start...I mean, it's obvious that he has some stuff that he needs to iron out.  And that's okay, that's acceptable.

What seems a bit weird is that he's their first option to go to after taking the time to explain to everyone that he needs more refining after the bad spring training.  It seems like a bit of a knee-jerk move but whatever.  Maybe we'll be surprised today and he'll be just fine.

I would just like to know what is different now compared to last year prior to his injury.  He hasn't looked nearly as dominant since the injury.  Did the injury cause mechanics to change? He can't still be hurt I wouldn't think? Would have just liked to see a couple of those dominant starts we got used to before calling him back up.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They are treating GRod like a regular minor league pitcher.  The team needs someone to help eat some innings.  It came down to whose normal turn it would be at Norfolk.   It could just have easily been Watkins or Zimmerman.   This is not about GRod but GRod can make it about GRod if he takes the ball and runs with it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think there's a huge difference between "the team doesn't seem to know what they're doing" and "I don't necessarily understand or agee with what they're doing."  This might be the wrong decision, it's not like Elias hasn't made mistakes, but I suspect they consider all thing Grayson very carefully and decided this was the best move for him and the team today.  They are also adaptive enough to know that things could be different tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing it'll be GRod 3 IP or 4 maximum if things go really well, and Voth 3. 

I guess they probably figure runs are going to be few and far between against DeGrom so perhaps see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Grayson's debut and get 3 or 4 scoreless against hitters who haven't seen him. 

The concerns re. trajectory and injury are understandable. But these are inevitable issues for pitchers who spend years coming through the minors. This is why publications are increasingly shy to rank any pitchers as top-5 prospects. Grayson is still as good of a pitching prospect as there is in baseball and we should be very excited.

25 minutes ago, bobmc said:

But you’re still excited right?  Is it better than DL’s start in St Pete last year?   Elias knows how to scramble our wits and I love it!  🤩

I mean, no, not really haha. I'm always excited to watch an Orioles game, especially with the chance of a sweep. I am interested to see what Grayson does. His performance could be exciting. But even if it is, he's incredibly likely to go right back down to AAA. Tyler Wells should not be bumped from this rotation and it's too soon to bump someone like Kremer. 

Grayson would have to have an otherwordly performance or two to stick on the big league team right now, IMO. 

Like RZNJ said, they're just treating him like a spot-starter, which is fine I guess, but it's not exciting because he's not here to stay. 

• Upvote 1

This is the second “hype” video the Os have put out. That’s a lot for someone they plan on sending right back down. Makes me wonder if that isn’t the plan.

It also makes me wonder if it’s not the plan, if the send him down thought was more of a wake up call for an attitude adjustment Vs performance?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This assumes Grayson goes back down after the game today. I imagine that if he pitches decently, Grayson would make the start on the 11th and if Bradish is ready to go for his next start they would send him down then, unless there is another injury to open a spot in the rotation.

If Grayson and Voth can cover 6-7 innings the bullpen is well rested and with an off-day either tomorrow or Friday, there is no reason to bring up another arm tomorrow and have a bullpen game on the 11th.

Let's face it, a lot of this is timing. If this game had come up and it was Zimmermann or Watkins turn, I think they are getting this start or Voth would get it with them taking over reliever duties. 

Sometimes timing is everything. Hopefully he pitches well or at the very least, looks like the guy we know he can be.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

This assumes Grayson goes back down after the game today. I imagine that if he pitches decently, Grayson would make the start on the 11th and if Bradish is ready to go for his next start they would send him down then, unless there is another injury to open a spot in the rotation.

If Grayson and Voth can cover 6-7 innings the bullpen is well rested and with an off-day either tomorrow or Friday, there is no reason to bring up another arm tomorrow and have a bullpen game on the 11th.

I agree. I imagine Grayson gets at least two starts out this.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

This is the second “hype” video the Os have put out. That’s a lot for someone they plan on sending right back down. Makes me wonder if that isn’t the plan.

It also makes me wonder if it’s not the plan, if the send him down thought was more of a wake up call for an attitude adjustment Vs performance?

This is what I'm most interested to find out - what is the plan exactly? On the one hand, you're right that this is a lot of hype. On the other hand, they kind of have to put the hype out there because it was probably planned well in advance and they can't, like, save it for when he gets called up a second time, you know? This is the first call up, whether they like it or not, and they have to do the marketing stuff. 

So to me, this doesn't mean much. I think you can put out the hype video, say he's arrived, and then send him packing to work on stuff and say he'll be back. But that's not guaranteed either, so we'll see.