Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I know part of the reason GRod appeared to run out of gas was the fact that he hasn't pitched a lot of innings lately.   But could it also be because he started out a little too strong?   Burned brighter briefly but faded sooner in the end?

No question here he did, but I think I'd be worried about his humanity if he didn't.

The team's hot run, the Dodgers Mookie-Freddie up top, the fact that it was the start of Take Two when probably all his life he never pictured struggling in Take One.      Definitely something to watch Saturday afternoon.

• Upvote 1

30 PA along, Cowser is 5th of 493 MLB Bats YTD at lowest Chase Rate.

I guess that's not 5th of 500, so I can't quite say 99th percentile, but he's at least displaying one of his foundational skills.

Adley and Gunnar also "hit polite" in the very early going.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 3

Here is the pitch chart for Grayson from the other day against the Dodgers.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=717372&player_id=680570#pitch_result

As you can see, the Dodgers swung at exactly one pitch that was a curve or slider.  It's obvious that the word is out that he can't throw these for strikes.  Until he can, it's going to be difficult without better fastball and changeup command for him to be successful.  

Seems to me the guy Grayson most resembles from Orioles past is Gausman.  When Gausman was here, his fastball was high velocity but hittable and he had a great splitter which functioned as his change-up but couldn't get ahead in the count enough to use it.  I wonder whether they could use Gausman as a comp for developing Grayson further.  Perhaps they are given that his fastball/change rate is about what Gausman's fastball/split rate is.   

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, baltfan said:

Here is the pitch chart for Grayson from the other day against the Dodgers.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=717372&player_id=680570#pitch_result

As you can see, the Dodgers swung at exactly one pitch that was a curve or slider.  It's obvious that the word is out that he can't throw these for strikes.  Until he can, it's going to be difficult without better fastball and changeup command for him to be successful.  

Seems to me the guy Grayson most resembles from Orioles past is Gausman.  When Gausman was here, his fastball was high velocity but hittable and he had a great splitter which functioned as his change-up but couldn't get ahead in the count enough to use it.  I wonder whether they could use Gausman as a comp for developing Grayson further.  Perhaps they are given that his fastball/change rate is about what Gausman's fastball/split rate is.   

Outstanding post. 

Grayson was a top prospect because he had a 4 pitch mix and a FB/CH that was elite. He has the frame and a lot of the intangibles everyone looks for in a young SP. However, if he can't land his secondaries he's just not going to be effective at the MLB level.

I thought his last start was better. His FB command was better. I'm still waiting for a start where I see an effective breaking ball that he can use to set up his FB/CH combo. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that he should pick one breaking ball and shelve the other this season. Maybe he throws FB/CH/SL and uses the CB at like 3-4%. Or maybe he throws the CB more and doesn't use the SL. I think if he can get a breaking ball that he is comfortable throwing for strikes he'll be much more effective. Just my $0.02.

I'm writing this as Grayson is starting the 7th.  This has been by far his best MLB start.  He's had outstanding velocity and command of his fastball tonight, and he's been able to throw his changeup for enough strikes to keep hitters honest.    I can definitely see front-line starter potential.  

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was a statement game from Grayson.  I’m not sure he’s arrived, but he’s on the train.  

He looked great, he did have some issues putting guys away with 2 strikes, and his breaking stuff wasn't that great, but he was pumping that fastball to all quadrants.