Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

37 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

In hindsight the Judge pitch around(s) worked, but I’d like to see him attack more.  It seems when he pitches around a feared batter it throws him off.  I’d like to see him go after everyone just about the same.  He was painting all night except against judge and then the batters immediately after.  It looks like the pitch arounds throw off his mechanics a hair.  

I’m going to have to disagree with you here. GRod did what all Orioles pitchers should have been doing the last few years, which is don’t let Judge be the one to hurt you.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Who said that? 

I asked the question about Cole’s strikeouts because people are essentially saying G-Rod was good not great because there weren’t enough strikeouts.  I imagine people didn’t think that way about Cole. 

Just now, baltfan said:

I asked the question about Cole’s strikeouts because people are essentially saying G-Rod was good not great because there weren’t enough strikeouts.  I imagine people didn’t think that way about Cole. 

Even as a k-bb fan, Grayson was great, as was Gerrit.      Getting in kitchens, quick early outs - that's exciting growth for him - opponents last night were competent veterans juiced by Judge back fighting for their very lives way earlier than they expected.

He brings that stuff more often now, there will be other games like that Tigers game where lineups just get trucked.

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I thought he was good, but he did have trouble putting people away, which doesn't mean he needs to strike everyone out, just making quality pitches with the off-speed would have helped him a lot in the 6th.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

I thought he was good, but he did have trouble putting people away, which doesn't mean he needs to strike everyone out, just making quality pitches with the off-speed would have helped him a lot in the 6th.

His command was excellent about a good as you could ever expect.  He needs to work on the quality of his offspeed pitches.  He was fastball dominant because it was a really good fastball.  Probably smart to throw more of them versus trying to strike guys out with offspeed that he couldn’t command as welll 

50 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I've heard Jim Palmer say it 100 times, that Robin Roberts told him "a fastball is all you need and an occasional change-up".  

Robin Roberts played from 1948-1966. Before the mound was lowered in 1968.

Palmer, who I respect enormously, played from 1965-1984.

Both are HoF players

To my knowledge neither was a MLB pitching coach. Although Roberts was a celebrated college coach in the late 1970s-early 80's.

Things in baseball have changed a little bit since these guys played. While I respect both of their respective insights on pitching, I don't necessarily take it as gospel.

Just now, baltfan said:

His command was excellent about a good as you could ever expect.  He needs to work on the quality of his offspeed pitches.  He was fastball dominant because it was a really good fastball.  Probably smart to throw more of them versus trying to strike guys out with offspeed that he couldn’t command as welll 

His fastball was excellent, it didn't prevent prolonged ABs last night because he had difficulty putting people away with it later in the game. I don't care who you are, going through an order 3 times is already a very difficult thing and if you can command only 1 pitch, it's going to be darn near impossible. Mariano Rivera was a starter once and even his unhittable cutter couldn't keep him in the rotation.

Now I'm not saying Grayson isn't a SP, he is, the more confidence and feel he gets for his offspeed offerings is going to make him a monster.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

His fastball was excellent, it didn't prevent prolonged ABs last night because he had difficulty putting people away with it later in the game. I don't care who you are, going through an order 3 times is already a very difficult thing and if you can command only 1 pitch, it's going to be darn near impossible. Mariano Rivera was a starter once and even his unhittable cutter couldn't keep him in the rotation.

Now I'm not saying Grayson isn't a SP, he is, the more confidence and feel he gets for his offspeed offerings is going to make him a monster.

Long at-bats were only an issue last two innings. He was very pitch efficient through 5

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

His fastball was excellent, it didn't prevent prolonged ABs last night because he had difficulty putting people away with it later in the game. 

I can’t say I noticed a lot of prolonged at bats, other than Rizzo’s.  

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Long at-bats were only an issue last two innings. He was very pitch efficient through 5

Hence my stating that going through an order 3 times is already a very difficult thing and if you can command only 1 pitch, it's going to be darn near impossible. 

• Upvote 1