Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I wonder what they did different to get him back on track. I see someone  like Manoah from the BlueJays or Taj Bradley from Tampa sent to the minors, the stints did not really help them.

He's more talented than either one of them, for starters.  

The variables here are interesting.  Whatever's wrong with Bradley and Manoah might be something that could have hampered G-Rod in a similar way, too.  It's hard to say, but I don't believe everyone can be saved.  I certainly think that guys benefit from being in the right situation at the right time with the right coaching and that can get them back on track but that's a matter of circumstance.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I thought the same. He was lethargic the first 3 innings, missing the strike zone, and Grayson even admitted it in his post game interview. He was much better after that and fought like a bulldog to get batters out and pitch through the 6th. He said the home run that was hit off of him made him angry and woke him up.

This is what Adley said about Grayson in the minors.  He said he showed the ability to toughen up with adversity.  He is a really exciting prospect.  I will be interested to see if given all of the innings this year whether the Orioles try to go to some sort of 6 man rotation for part of the year next year to ease some of the load on the pitchers.

PitcherList's daily roundup has the detail his 39% Called Strikes + Whiffs yesterday was MLB best.    On a bad night.

70-ish Qualified MLB pitchers since 7/18 - Fangraphs has him 18th in WAR, 9th in HR/9, 36th in k-bb, 10th in GB%, 4th in Stuff+.      The kind of effective he's become isn't even strikeouts rooted, though I feel its very likely when it really blossoms that will be there too.

Forgetting their pay and remaining years of control, I'm about to the point where I don't know if I'd switch Grayson/Bradish for many of the other 1-2 punches for the ensuing 6 weeks even if I could.     Pablo/Sonny?     Verlander/Framber?     Castillo/Kirby?     Wheeler/Nola?

Obviously risk with our guys a wall could be hit any minute.

A Best Case finish perhaps gets him into the A list of 2024 Cy Young betting odds.     Fingers crossed he gets several showdowns with the other usual suspects next month.

Its also true Shohei's batting practice mishap may have saved him from disaster on a bad night.     Goldschmidt and Arenado next - I think he can move into their kitchens and be safe in Walltimore as he lays up for the Rays next Sunday.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Ok @Just Regular gotta ask. Did you consider playoff experience when writing your last post? Of the pitching duets you mention, Verlander/Framber has been there and done that. I think it might matter more than IP workload. 

For sure leaning out over skis some for fun.     That's a big mark in the veteran's favor.     The Astros are Ric Flair, and even the younger Mariners guys have some October gems already.     One of Gausman or Scherzer looks like they'll probably miss.

It'll be interesting to see how hot Eflin and Civale can stay behind Glasnow for the first key race. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

This is what Adley said about Grayson in the minors.  He said he showed the ability to toughen up with adversity.  He is a really exciting prospect.  I will be interested to see if given all of the innings this year whether the Orioles try to go to some sort of 6 man rotation for part of the year next year to ease some of the load on the pitchers.

This got me thinking, if the Orioles decide that a 6 man rotation in 2024 is their in best interest, then if all goes as hoped for I can imagine the 2024 rotation looking something like...

1. Kyle Bradish

2. Grayson Rodriguez

3. John Means

4. Dean Kremer

5. DL Hall

6. Cole Irvin

Then they also have Povich, McDermott, and Johnson (and even still Zimmerman + Baumann) who will try to earn themselves a Major League opportunity over the length of the season.

But the good news is that we will finally have a healthy mix of Left Handed Pitchers in the starting rotation.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

This got me thinking, if the Orioles decide that a 6 man rotation in 2024 is their in best interest, then if all goes as hoped for I can imagine the 2024 rotation looking something like...

1. Kyle Bradish

2. Grayson Rodriguez

3. John Means

4. Dean Kremer

5. DL Hall

6. Cole Irvin

Then they also have Povich, McDermott, and Johnson (and even still Zimmerman + Baumann) who will try to earn themselves a Major League opportunity over the length of the season.

But the good news is that we will finally have a healthy mix of Left Handed Pitchers in the starting rotation.

Armbruester is another well regarded prospect/guy trying to get himself to the Big Leagues. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's more talented than either one of them, for starters.  

The variables here are interesting.  Whatever's wrong with Bradley and Manoah might be something that could have hampered G-Rod in a similar way, too.  It's hard to say, but I don't believe everyone can be saved.  I certainly think that guys benefit from being in the right situation at the right time with the right coaching and that can get them back on track but that's a matter of circumstance.

More talented than Manoah?  That's some pretty lofty praise for Grayson.  That guy was nails for the better part of 2 seasons.

6 hours ago, dystopia said:

So who gets the ball on OD next year? Bradish or G-Rod? It’s a tough call imo. 

As of right now, for me, if it's between these two, that honor would have to go to Kyle. He's pitched well the entire year and looks like he may still be improving. He has pitched himself into a top 10 starter in at least the AL. 

I suspect that a healthy John Means may still anchor the rotation given Hyde's preference for veterans but honestly, any of the four of Kremer, Bradish, GrayRod or Means would not be the wrong decision. A case could be made for any of them. 

We know how data driven the Org has grown to become and given that they open with the Angels then Royals at home next year, followed by @ the Pirates and @ the Saux, they may align the rotation based more on these guys' numbers against those teams but as of right now, I'd give Kyle the ball on March 28, 2024.

21 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

1. Kyle Bradish

2. Grayson Rodriguez

3. John Means

4. Dean Kremer

5. DL Hall

6. Cole Irvin

Not a big fan of the 6 man rotation because of the extra strain it puts on the bullpen.  Everyone should be good w/o inning limits but Grayson.  I don't see Hall's future in the rotation.

16 minutes ago, Hallas said:

More talented than Manoah?  That's some pretty lofty praise for Grayson.  That guy was nails for the better part of 2 seasons.

I'll subscribe to the idea of GrayRod being the more talented guy if we're talking only pure stuff. I think we can count on one hand the pitchers in baseball right now that can out-stuff GrayRod. If he is a year older and we didn't lose the minor league season to covid, it's reasonable to suggest that his major league career may have gotten started in that 2020 season, even if only a September call-up. I think that's even more likely if he had been drafted by another team considering how Elias likes to move his guys through the system with stops at each level.

So, we could very well have seen this version of GrayRod back in 2021 as a 21 year old. His path to the majors was derailed/delayed for things that were almost exclusively not performance related. Manoah had a great start to his career, no doubt but I think GrayRod would have experienced similar success. 

GrayRod's minor league numbers through two years were silly - 115 1/3 innings, 149 Ks, with a 1.01 WHIP. Through three years he was 2.42 ERA over 215 1/3 innings with 310 Ks and a 0.94 WHIP. Had he posted those three years with the Jays, you can bet that he would have been promoted just like Manoah was promoted. In terms of pure stuff though, GrayRod's arsenal is filthier.