Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

2.84 ERA since coming back. Averaging almost exactly 6 IP per start. BB rate is 2.6. k rate is 7.8. Only given up 2 homers and 33 hits. BABIP a little on the lucky side after it was on the unlucky side in his first stint. Tends to even out..overall he’s still more on the unlucky side.

He very correctly gave sone of the credit to his defense in his postgame presser.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

If they clinch the duvision, they’re going to sit around for several days while the other teams play.  So, I doubt they‘ll skip the starters much at the end.   More likely they’ll limit their innings.  But in any event, it’s unlikely they clinch until sometime in that final week, assuming they do win the division.  

Clinching the Division isn't the only goal. They want top AL seed right?

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Clinching the Division isn't the only goal. They want top AL seed right?

Yes, though Tampa has a 4.5 game lead on Seattle for 2nd best record right now, so it’s likely that winning the division = having the best record in the AL.

At 134.1 IP, Grayson has now pitched more than 31.1 innings more than his career high of 103 IP in 2021 and almost 50 innings more than last year and we haven't hit September.

He absolutely looks like a stud out there right now so I hope they allow him to keep going unless he looks like he hits a wall. 

Sure would be nice to see him, Bradish, and Kremer leading a playoff rotation, but we have to wonder will the Orioles pull the plug due to his innings limits or put him in the pen? 

This is a real interesting case. The Orioles have traditionally babied their young arms especially when they haven't been built up the year before, but this is a true pennant race and Rodriguez is showing no signs of fatigue. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

At 134.1 IP, Grayson has now pitched more than 31.1 innings more than his career high of 103 IP in 2021 and almost 50 innings ore than last year and we haven't hit September.

He absolutely looks like a stud out there right now so I hope they allow him to keep going unless he looks like he hits a wall. 

Sure would be nice to see him, Bradish, and Kremer leading a playoff rotation, but we have to wonder will the Orioles pull the plug do to his innings limits or put him in the pen? 

This is a real interesting case. The Orioles have traditionally babied their young arms especially when they haven't been built up the year before, but this is a true pennant race and Rodriguez is showing no signs of fatigue. 

You really wonder what kind of workload he shouldered in 2020 in the Covid camps.  That could certainly factor into their thinking.

The once a week pitcher thing will end the Tampa weekend at OPACY when they'll surely use him if the race is still close.      The final two weeks after then could be anything from a dogfight to a cakewalk.

If it is close, the strategy on if you burn Bradish and Grayson even more the final weekend will be interesting to watch unfold.

With luck for a while everything will be as easy as "Get ready to pitch Game 1 and Game 2".

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

At 134.1 IP, Grayson has now pitched more than 31.1 innings more than his career high of 103 IP in 2021 and almost 50 innings more than last year and we haven't hit September.

Sure would be nice to see him, Bradish, and Kremer leading a playoff rotation, but we have to wonder will the Orioles pull the plug due to his innings limits or put him in the pen? 

Personally, I’d keep a close eye on Grayson for signs of fatigue, and maybe snip an inning here and there, but no way I’m shutting him down or pulling him from the rotation unless he shows it’s necessary.  

• Upvote 1

What I want more than anything is to have Bradish and GRod lined up for game 1 of whatever playoff series we play. Would hate to have the team in a position where either of them had to start games that caused them to be unavailable for the first game. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly it wasn’t Grayson’s best night.  But the mark of a good pitcher is to have a solid result even when he’s not at his best.   

I thought the same. He was lethargic the first 3 innings, missing the strike zone, and Grayson even admitted it in his post game interview. He was much better after that and fought like a bulldog to get batters out and pitch through the 6th. He said the home run that was hit off of him made him angry and woke him up.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly it wasn’t Grayson’s best night.  But the mark of a good pitcher is to have a solid result even when he’s not at his best.   

Anyone who's been a starting pitcher will tell you, ya just never know. Pre-game bullpens can be great, then you get out there and bomb. I still remember my first start in college, I didn't throw a single ball over the plate with my warmup pitches, I had no idea where the ball was going. Might have been the first time in history the bullpen was up before the game even started. Then the first batter stepped up and five innings later hadn't walked a batter.

I love watching these guys (especially youngsters like GRod) get out there, and on days they don't have great stuff or great command, figure it out, adjust, and throw six or seven, and leave with a lead. So refreshing compared to what we've had last several years.