Gunnar’s wrist

Explosivo

4 hours ago, owknows said:

round

If the ball isn’t smushed to an oval off the bat then we might have problems!

In my experience when solid/productive players aren’t producing, there is typically an underlying nagging physical issue.  Doesn’t mean injury, just means he’s not playing at 100%.  When you aren’t 100% you try and compensate and your mechanics and timing go out the window. If he and the brass think he’s well enough to play, then I don’t see any issues and imagine he will be fine soon.  If he starts getting multiple days and misses more time, that may point to a short stint on IL to get back to 100%

22 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The informed, intelligent thing to say would have been something like, "Gunnar has shown us what kind of hitter he is over hundreds of at bats. Yeah, he's gotten off to a slow start in the equivalent of about half a dozen games. So what? The guy can flat-out hit, and he will hit." Instead, Hyde made up (or passed along what others have made up) that there's something called a "typical young person spring." I'm pretty sure there's no such thing, and even if there were Gunnar's first 21 ABs couldn't reasonably be said to be typical of it. That sounds like the kind of nonsense a manager would have spouted in 1923 or 1953, not 2023. Most of MLB has moved beyond that kind of fact-less generalization. I hope that's not typical of the way Hyde looks at things, and I don't think it is. 

I think you are reading way too hard into an innocuous comment by Hyde during an innocuous spring training interview. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you are reading way too hard into an innocuous comment by Hyde during an innocuous spring training interview. 

Maybe so. It just struck me, and still does, that Hyde's statement about what a "typical" young player does in spring training, without analysis of what young players actually do in spring training, is an example of the kind of explanation based on conventional wisdom -- albeit a trivial example --  that you no longer hear from sophisticated baseball people. 

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe so. It just struck me, and still does, that Hyde's statement about what a "typical" young player does in spring training, without analysis of what young players actually do in spring training, is an example of the kind of explanation based on conventional wisdom -- albeit a trivial example --  that you no longer hear from sophisticated baseball people. 

It's just Hyde's style. It's his way of waving off Gunnar's struggles as something everyone goes through in spring training. That part is true. The "young person" part is just an off the cuff comment designed at giving the player more breathing room from the media. It's also a way of, if Gunnar reads the interview later, letting the player know it's all good and to relax. It's a way to let it be known that the player is not under any added pressure or expectation. 

Managing in baseball is about managing humans. Hyde knows the data and the modern way the game is played. But that doesn't mean he has to talk like that all the time. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

You expect him to provide examples of this when he is asked a random question and give you analysis of what is going on and why he feels he’s pressing?  

Show me one interview like this where a manager has ever done that.  It’s always cliches and Bs answers.