Cowser and Kjerstad

cheecks

Really excited for both these guys. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of these two more so than any other prospects in the farm.

I did hope to see Cowser hit a little more than he has but he has so far been an OBP machine. Not sure if his history is more of a streaky hitter or not and that's what's led to his slow hitting start but nevertheless the guy knows how to get on base. He seems to draw a walk almost every game.

Kjerstad has been on a tear. I know it's only spring training but it doesn't seem long before he makes it to the yard. I remember Elias  saying when Kjerstad was drafted, Kjerstad was the best bat in the draft. 

Nevertheless it's awesome to see both these guys produce. Can't wait for the season to start!

• Upvote 1

Cowser scares me sometimes with the excessive strikeouts but he's got a really nice swing and certainly will take a walk.    I'm cautiously optimistic that he's going to be a really, really good hitter.    Kjerstad has come a long way in the last year.    I don't think he's going to as good as Cowser as far as average and OBP but he looks like he's going to be a power hitter who can it 4-6.

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Would love to see these two on the corners some time after the trade deadline.

I think it's certainly possible with Cowser but, hopefully, there won't be a spot for him.    Hays and Santander are looking really good this spring.   Hoping for big seasons from both.     That would be quite a story with Kjerstad.   I'd be happy with half a season at Bowie and the other half at Norfolk with maybe a September callup but that's not as likely with the new restrictions as far as the number of callups after 8/31.

27 minutes ago, seak05 said:

If things work out, Santander gets pushed to DH and first base. Cowser at least is a much better defensive outfielder. There are at bats to go around. 

The guy who would really be squeezed is probably stowers 

And mountcastle in your scenario who has also been raking this spring. 

Fun times right now. The playoffs wouldn’t shock me. 

The Cowser power is really pleasant to see after some of the low prospect rankings for him, and the walks are great even if the average is not. Kjerstad too seems to be back to where he was envisioned to be.

Kyle Stowers seems like the odd man out at this point, and Ryan McKenna might not be needed once Cowser is ready. I wonder what deals might be made if these two keep it up in the minors.

1 hour ago, joelala said:

And mountcastle in your scenario who has also been raking this spring. 

Fun times right now. The playoffs wouldn’t shock me. 

Well you have to have someone at dh and someone at 1b, so there should be enough at bats for both of them. But yeah eventually mountcastle could absolutely get squeezed 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser scares me sometimes with the excessive strikeouts but he's got a really nice swing and certainly will take a walk.    I'm cautiously optimistic that he's going to be a really, really good hitter.    Kjerstad has come a long way in the last year.    I don't think he's going to as good as Cowser as far as average and OBP but he looks like he's going to be a power hitter who can it 4-6.

The K's and the extreme platoon splits (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cowser000col&type=bgl&year=2022) worry me about Cowser, but I'm coming around. He might not be a star, but he should be a solid regular...hopefully. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The K's and the extreme platoon splits (https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cowser000col&type=bgl&year=2022) worry me about Cowser, but I'm coming around. He might not be a start, but he should be a solid regular...hopefully. 

Wow those numbers against lefties are not good. 

• Upvote 1