Looks like this is how the rotation shakes out

interloper

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Granted, I think that the OD starter nomination is a bit overblown and overhyped but I'd like to see a guy who was here last year get it instead of some newcomer.  

Yes, I'm aware Sutcliffe had the Opening Day '92 shutout against Cleveland but he's had a bit better of a career than Gibson. 

Well, it does appear Bradish is lined up for the home opener.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Biggest surprised for me is Bradish at #2, ahead of the veteran Irvin and Kremer who was more consistent last year. Not going to quibble though, they are four averageish starters (plus Grayson) who could go anywhere in the rotation. I agree, they should keep us in games consistently even if no one guy is dominant. Ready for games that count!

Hard to know who pitches the second game of the season.  There is a day off after OD.   So it could be lined up for Irvin.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Going back to the discussion yesterday, this is how they send down GRod if they decide to.

OTOH, they can’t have a 9 man pen, right?

FWIW, if he was called up on April 13 he’d still earn a full year of service.  April 14 is the first day that he wouldn’t.  

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard to know who pitches the 2nd game of the season.   There is an off day after the 1st game.   It could be lined up of Irvin.

I still say they aren’t throwing Irvin vs Boston. If they bring Gibson back on normal 4 day rest he can avoid NYY as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Of course..but at that point, they would wait another week so that he can “work on things”.

I thought you were suggesting that waiting until a 5th starter was needed on April 13 to call him up.  I’m just pointing out that doesn’t avoid getting him a full year of service.  Waiting until after then does.  Personally, I think GRod will be in the rotation to begin the year and they won’t wait until April 13 to use him.  If he’s sent down, my guess is we won’t see him until May.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought you were suggesting that waiting until a 5th starter was needed on April 13 to call him up.  I’m just pointing out that doesn’t avoid getting him a full year of service.  Waiting until after then does.  Personally, I think GRod will be in the rotation to begin the year and they won’t wait until April 13 to use him.  If he’s sent down, my guess is we won’t see him until May.  

No but if they didn’t need one until the 13th, it’s an easy reason to send him down.  And if he’s sent down until the 13th, you keep him down for 1-2 extra starts and you put yourself in position to potentially gain the extra year.

Here’s something I just learned: only three starting pitchers have won AL rookie of the year since 1981. The odds are not very good the GRod wins it. So Elias might be more willing to play the service time game and take the risk with Grayson, then he would with a position player. 

Based on that I think it increases the chances that Wells is the fifth starter to start the season.