Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

Caught this little blurb about Irvin in Roch's entry this morning.  If he can do this for 1-2 more starts is that enough to call him back up?

Left-hander Cole Irvin made his first start for Triple-A Norfolk since the Orioles optioned him, and he allowed two runs and seven hits with one walk and two strikeouts over seven innings against Rochester. He also hit a batter.

Irvin threw 99 pitches, 67 for strikes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Caught this little blurb about Irvin in Roch's entry this morning.  If he can do this for 1-2 more starts is that enough to call him back up?

Left-hander Cole Irvin made his first start for Triple-A Norfolk since the Orioles optioned him, and he allowed two runs and seven hits with one walk and two strikeouts over seven innings against Rochester. He also hit a batter.

Sure, but it's going to depend on the needs of the rotation. Kremer put a pretty big dent in one way Irvin gets back here because Kremer was the guy struggling most. We don't really know what Bradish looks like this year, but we'll get an idea tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I don't see anything in that stat line that screams we need this guy up.  Only two strikeouts over seven isn't encouraging.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see anything in that stat line that screams we need this guy up.  Only two strikeouts over seven isn't encouraging.

Well he is striking out 9.2 guys per 9 innings for us so far at the MLB level.  ;)  I'll take the AAA line by comparison, heh.  

The really encouraging thing is the walks.   His walk rate was crazy elevated with us compared to his track record.  Only walking one in 7 is hopefully a good sign.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

10 hits and 5 runs allowed in 5 IP for Cole Irvin against AAA Rochester. 

He was cruising early on but not giving him an excuse but he gave up 3 runs in the 5th on a 3 run homer.  That made the score 17-3 not sure how locked in you are when your pitching with a 17 run lead.  He might have been trying different things at that point to see how it worked in a blowout.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He was cruising early on but not giving him an excuse but he gave up 3 runs in the 5th on a 3 run homer.  That made the score 17-3 not sure how locked in you are when your pitching with a 17 run lead.  He might have been trying different things at that point to see how it worked in a blowout.  

I get it but....if I had just spent the entirety of the last two seasons in the majors and I got sent down....I think I'd be doing my best to stay locked in. I'd also be worried about all the 0's the staff is putting up in my absence.

• Upvote 1