Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

41 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Frazier's career stats (3,302 plate appearances) show that (i) June, by a large margin, is his worst month and (ii) May and July--again by a large margin--are his best.

May .771

June .644

July .765

So he's been on pattern so far. The career stats also show only a .020 difference between first and second halves, i.e. they largely even out his record of having poor Aprils and Junes.

I’ve never believed in those kinds of splits, unless they show someone who either starts or ends many seasons either hot or cold.  Nobody’s going to convince me that June is much different than July.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve never believed in those kinds of splits, unless they show someone who either starts or ends many seasons either hot or cold.  Nobody’s going to convince me that June is much different than July.   

I'll dig into his season by season record and see.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I'll dig into his season by season record and see.

It may show a fairly consistent pattern for May/June/July, but I’ll still be inclined to think it’s a coincidence rather than something predictive of likely future results.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That missed DP chance last night was egregious. 

Gibson had his own issues for sure but that’s when the pitch count started skyrocketing. Maybe he can get through another inning if Frazier can get his glove on the ground. 

I agree!!! But this team has a lot more to worry about than just Frazier. Fixing second base is not enough. For me, last night was brutal and show cased all the warts! Hope we can come out today and wash that bad taste away. We need pitching and I don't see that on the horizon. And that's not all. (I'm looking at you Mateo.) Talk me off the ledge. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It may show a fairly consistent pattern for May/June/July, but I’ll still be inclined to think it’s a coincidence rather than something predictive of likely future results.  

I agree. That leap from historical correlation to causality is a perilous one to any forecaster. I can't think of any logical reason to believe a May/June/July pattern like that is anything other than coincidence.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That missed DP chance last night was egregious. 

Gibson had his own issues for sure but that’s when the pitch count started skyrocketing. Maybe he can get through another inning if Frazier can get his glove on the ground. 

Agreed, terrible play that really affected the game. Even though Gibson got out of it with only one allowed that inning it really affected the course of the game. After throwing 30+ pitches in one inning you know you are going to have to use the Akin/Gillaspie types. Honestly Gibson should have been removed at that point, it was really a heroic effort to finish that inning and get through another one. 

Now, that was a hard hit ball with .500 xBA, but to go from a double play to 1st/3rd no out is a huge change in the outcome. You can tolerate a tough play like that from a guy who is hitting but from an up the middle defense guy who is not hitting that is pretty inexcusable. Elias was in the stands so he had to have noticed this one. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, terrible play that really affected the game. Even though Gibson got out of it with only one allowed that inning it really affected the course of the game. After throwing 30+ pitches in one inning you know you are going to have to use the Akin/Gillaspie types. Honestly Gibson should have been removed at that point, it was really a heroic effort to finish that inning and get through another one. 

Now, that was a hard hit ball with .500 xBA, but to go from a double play to 1st/3rd no out is a huge change in the outcome. You can tolerate a tough play like that from a guy who is hitting but from an up the middle defense guy who is not hitting that is pretty inexcusable. Elias was in the stands so he had to have noticed this one. 

No doubt the ball was smashed but Frazier was there. 

At any rate, our offense was flaccid last night. I don’t think we win that game anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No doubt the ball was smashed but Frazier was there. 

At any rate, our offense was flaccid last night. I don’t think we win that game anyway. 

I've seen a lot of that out of Frazier.  Sixty years ago I was taught the second baseman blocks balls on the ground with his body.  Even if you can't glove it you still can make a play.  There's no stat that measures that fail and Frazier is a regular toreador, OLE.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HelenaEngineer said:

I agree. That leap from historical correlation to causality is a perilous one to any forecaster. I can't think of any logical reason to believe a May/June/July pattern like that is anything other than coincidence.

Thanks for saving me the research time