Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

His OAA on Statcast Outs Above Average Leaderboard | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com) lists him in the bottom 5 in all of MLB, ranked 253rd in fielding on the season with a -10. He is rated the lowest 2B on there. 

Some other defensive metrics dont rate him that badly, though his foot speed on savant also has declined.

Okay, I guess that means he can't get to balls that others must get to, but the ones he does get to, he makes the plays.  That's the only way I can reconcile that.....or that he's not as athletic as his peers.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some people don’t wanna hear it. 

I actually did want to hear it, if you're referring to me.  That's why I said, "Serious Question", and cited the stats that I looked at.  Hopefully you meant someone else.

I actually tried to be respectful about the inquiry.

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

Okay, I guess that means he can't get to balls that others must get to, but the ones he does get to, he makes the plays.  That's the only way I can reconcile that.....or that he's not as athletic as his peers.

Not trying to bang on you, and I'm not a Frazier hater, but the fact that he can't get to balls others get to matters. 

4 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Not trying to bang on you, and I'm not a Frazier hater, but the fact that he can't get to balls others get to matters. 

It does matter, I was just translating what I assume that metric was saying, not disagreeing with it, nor was I discounting it.  It added another dimension for me.

As a pitcher for many years, it DEFINITELY matters to me when guys can't get to balls that I expect them to get to.  So, I completely understand it now.

And thanks for not banging 🙂  your tact was perfect, unlike many (maybe even me sometimes)

PS - I'm just doing my part to get this thread to 100 pages.  I took the OVER.

Edited by Sanity Check
  • Upvote 1

As others have pointed out Frazier’s OAA is very poor and supports my eye test that his range is lacking and doesn’t have the arm strength to make the strong throw back the other way when his momentum is taking him away from 1B.   He is surehanded and makes accurate throws.   Therefore, no errors.   However, I feel there are a number of outs we’re not getting that Urias and Westburg would be getting if they were in there and even more so if Ortiz was in there.

Edited by RZNJ

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Please define "poorish defense".  I get it that he's not Mateo, but what makes you say that when again, his fielding percentage does not support it?  Serious question, and not trolling, is there a defensive ranking or stat that indicates that he is poor defensively this year?

Yes..most of the ones that actual matter. 

For example, his OAA is -10, the worst in baseball.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..most of the ones that actual matter. 

For example, his OAA is -10, the worst in baseball.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it

Yes, they did, and I appreciate you also bringing up the OAA.....I had never heard of it.    I see it now....but thank you.  I learned something new.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Yes, they did, and I appreciate you also bringing up the OAA.....I had never heard of it.    I see it now....but thank you.  I learned something new.

Check out Frazier statcast page. Look at the fielding stats they provide. Give you some idea of some things.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/adam-frazier-624428?stats=statcast-r-fielding-mlb

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've seen him play defense.

When the team was hackin away like a bunch of clowns for four innings vs their bullpen, were you thinking to yourself, “man, we really could use some defense out of our second baseman right now.”?

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

When the team was hackin away like a bunch of clowns for four innings vs their bullpen, were you thinking to yourself, “man, we really could use some defense out of our second baseman right now.”?

When Frazier misplays a ball hit to second do you say to yourself, "Man, we really could use a below average bat that can take a pitch"?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When Frazier misplays a ball hit to second do you say to yourself, "Man, we really could use a below average bat that can take a pitch"?

No, I think, “we all can’t dominate on the diamond like Sports Guy dominates a message board, but that guy is still a winner”