Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

How about that maybe some people are better at controlling their nerves so they get an advantage they wouldn’t have in a non-pressure situation when the pitcher isn’t as nervous.?  And why is it that it can’t just be that some guys just are better.?  The Eddie Murray stats show in general he just was.  Why, no one can know for sure. Maybe his slow heartbeat. Maybe his pitch selection provided a greater advantage in the clutch or with runners on.  In the end it doesn’t really matter. 

Why don’t they do this in all situations?

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't make sense.  If you can do it in a nigh pressure situation you should be able to do it all the time.  Maybe they just don't fully focus in low stress environments?

That sounds  more like a flaw than a positive attribute.

It’s different for everyone. Everyone has an optimal level of pressure and stress that they perform under. Some people perform better under some pressure, other people fold under just about any pressure.

It’s an extreme example, but have you ever heard of hysterical strength? People have been known to have what is described as “super-human” strength when faced with life or death situations. It most likely has something to do with adrenaline. 

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Adam Frazier has .981 OPS in 190 ABs this year with men on base.  Good enough for me. 

Me too.  And logic and 20/20 vision dictates he never be allow on the field in any other situation especially if he's somehow managed to steal a baseball glove somewhere.

7 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

Why don’t they do this in all situations?

They do. It’s just they don’t get the advantage the same in low leverage situations because the pitcher is also controlling their nerves.  In higher leverage situations they stay cool but the pitcher doesn’t.  This provides an extra advantage. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

They do. It’s just they don’t get the advantage the same in low leverage situations because the pitcher is also controlling their nerves.  In higher leverage situations they stay cool but the pitcher doesn’t.  This provides an extra advantage. 

Huh? So hitters have the "clutch switch" but pitchers don't?

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

How about that maybe some people are better at controlling their nerves so they get an advantage they wouldn’t have in a non-pressure situation when the pitcher isn’t as nervous.?  And why is it that it can’t just be that some guys just are better.?  The Eddie Murray stats show in general he just was.  Why, no one can know for sure. Maybe his slow heartbeat. Maybe his pitch selection provided a greater advantage in the clutch or with runners on.  In the end it doesn’t really matter. 

Your argument for why some hitters are clutch is that pitchers aren't clutch?

I think it absoultly matters.

I'd rather have a guy that puts up a say a .750 OPS all the time than a guy that puts up a .650 most of the time but jumps up to .800 when he feels like concentrating.

More low leverage at bats out there than high leverage ones, and the low leverage at bat to start off an inning can lead to a high leverage at bat for someone else in the lineup.

I don't want guys giving away at bats because they don't think the situation is all that important.

10 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

It’s different for everyone. Everyone has an optimal level of pressure and stress that they perform under. Some people perform better under some pressure, other people fold under just about any pressure.

It’s an extreme example, but have you ever heard of hysterical strength? People have been known to have what is described as “super-human” strength when faced with life or death situations. It most likely has something to do with adrenaline. 

I would think an adrenaline surge wouldn't be a good thing at bat.  (not that I was much of a hitter even in little league)

17 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Huh? So hitters have the "clutch switch" but pitchers don't?

Who said that some pitchers don't have the "clutch switch" as you put it?  But some pitchers definitely don't.  For example, it looks quite possible that Fuji's performance is affected by clutch situations.  The default is likely that both pitchers and hitters have more nerves and are more likely to not execute as well as they would.  Those pitchers and hitters that happen to be able to control their nerves so that they are the same as with no one on base; therefore, they have an advantage that those that get nervous don't.  So a clutch pitcher would be one that isn't affected by the situation who can take advantage of a batter who is affected by it so they do things like expand the zone or overswing.  

Again, no one knows exactly why some small subset of players is better in the clutch.  This is just one possibility.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Your argument for why some hitters are clutch is that pitchers aren't clutch?

I think it absoultly matters.

I'd rather have a guy that puts up a say a .750 OPS all the time than a guy that puts up a .650 most of the time but jumps up to .800 when he feels like concentrating.

More low leverage at bats out there than high leverage ones, and the low leverage at bat to start off an inning can lead to a high leverage at bat for someone else in the lineup.

I don't want guys giving away at bats because they don't think the situation is all that important.

I wasn't the one talking about concentration so much, though for some it is maybe a thing.  I was more talking about nerves.  And as for what is more preferable, from a psychic standpoint for the team it may be that the guy that is better in the clutch is more valuable.  If you listen to guys like Kevin Goldstein, formerly of Fangraphs, and Bill James that have worked in front offices, they repeatedly say that sabermatricians don't put enough weight on team morale etc...  This is why you see guys who are good managers of people but thought of as poor strategic managers like Dusty Baker and Joe Torre get jobs and have success.  

Also as I said in another post, I am sure there are "clutch" pitchers.  Why wouldn't there be?  We know that some pitchers definitely struggle in pressure situations.  Why do you think that is?  Why don't they just choose to pitch like they would in unclutch situations?

Edited by baltfan

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think an adrenaline surge wouldn't be a good thing at bat.  (not that I was much of a hitter even in little league)

Adrenaline can increase your focus and heighten your senses. It dilates your pupils and sharpens your vision. It can definitely help. It can also hurt your focus and increase your heart rate. It just depends the person and the amount of adrenaline. 

• Upvote 1

The big thing about Frazier or a high leverage reliever......it's about confidence.  Frazier has that.  He believes in himself more than many Hangouters do.....and his results speak for themselves.  If you don't have confidence, those that do will eat you up....because it gets in your head to not fail....which results in failing.  Believing you will win a battle puts you in a much better mindset to succeed.

Just now, Sanity Check said:

The big thing about Frazier or a high leverage reliever......it's about confidence.  Frazier has that.  He believes in himself more than many Hangouters do.....and his results speak for themselves.  If you don't have confidence, those that do will eat you up....because it gets in your head to not fail....which results in failing.  Believing you will win a battle puts you in a much better mindset to succeed.

I think it is very hard to get the the ML without an abundance of self confidence.

From the bit that I've heard about the organization the two most swimming in a pool of self confidence are Hall and Mountcastle.  Are they the best players?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is very hard to get the the ML without an abundance of self confidence.

From the bit that I've heard about the organization the two most swimming in a pool of self confidence are Hall and Mountcastle.  Are they the best players?

I haven't heard that, but to answer your question, No.  Although Mountcastle has been pretty close it this week 🙂

I also think it's easy to lose confidence once they get to that level unless they succeed.  I think Stowers had lost his, and Cowser might be fighting the same ailment....at least at the major league level.  Doesn't mean they won't eventually get there, it's just a process of being humbled.  Those that don't succeed and maintain a high level of confidence??  I call that cocky and lack of self awareness.