Worst-ever regular season Orioles losses?

Frobby

Just now, Frobby said:

Pretty sure I remember this one.  BJ Ryan was the victim, back when he was having an excellent season as our closer.  I was driving my daughter somewhere and let out a scream that scared the crap out of her.  

Good memory. I think it was BJ as well - that's a name I haven't thought of in a while. He was great for a few seasons.

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Good memory. I think it was BJ as well - that's a name I haven't thought of in a while. He was great for a few seasons.

I have a really good memory of the worst walk-off losses, unfortunately.  I added a link to the box score in my post. 

Edited by Frobby

The worst loss memories are not always independent of the season. For example, this one hurt, but if the Orioles have a good or great season and make the playoffs then the painful memory will fade more than if the Orioles have a sucky season or, heaven forbid, miss the playoffs by one game. 

While I wouldn't call these super painful, they stuck in my memory as particularly ridiculous at the time:

1. 4/19/96. Before there was 30-3, there was 26-7 against in Texas.  We gave up 16 runs in the 8th inning.  The best part of this game was Orosco's stat line.....0.1 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 8 ER.  And even better.....he came into the game with the bases loaded....and left the game 9 batters later, with the same three people on the bases.  I have never seen that before or since.

2. 5/1/96. 15 inning 11 - 6 loss to NY.  10th inning, we had the bases loaded and one out.  Hammonds pops up, Brady goes 3-0 on Jim Mecir, and somehow strikes out.  We then lose in 15.  We went 0-9 against NY in Camden Yards that year, including the playoffs.

3. 8/10 - 8/12/93. We were 63-49 and 0.5 back of the Jays. We then proceeded to give up 47 runs in Detroit in 3 games.  15, 15, and 17.  I cannot recall a team scoring 15 runs three games in a row against the same opponent.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:12 AM, Sports Guy said:

Yesterdays game isn’t even in the discussion. #recencybias

From Kiley McDaniel:

“Baltimore's loss Saturday might prove to be the most painful one any team will suffer all season, and that's not an exaggeration.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/36044348/mlb-opening-weekend-2023-learned-new-rules-injuries-trends

So, disagree if you choose, but it’s not recency bias.  That was one tortuous way to lose a baseball game.  

• Thanks 1

One of the few Orioles games I went to as a kid went into extras and I pleaded with my parents to stay and watch the whole game.  The O's had come back to tie the game in the 9th, but my parents decided it was too late sometime around the 13th/14th inning, and we left.  Tino Martinez hit a grand slam on the way home, and I was convinced it was my/our fault.  There have certainly been worse losses, but this one really stuck with me since I was only 9 and it was one of the first O's games I had ever been to live.

Found the entire game here -  game should have been over on the 3-2 pitch to Brady in hindsight:

Edited by Goober Noodles

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Kiley McDaniel:

“Baltimore's loss Saturday might prove to be the most painful one any team will suffer all season, and that's not an exaggeration.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/36044348/mlb-opening-weekend-2023-learned-new-rules-injuries-trends

So, disagree if you choose, but it’s not recency bias.  That was one tortuous way to lose a baseball game.  

Yep, saw that too, and thought the same thing!

It's not often you lose a game in such a painful fashion.