Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When a lefty pitcher is on the mound he should always lay one down. That’s a tough play for a lefty pitcher to make if it’s down even ok. Also, the Yankees are running out Donaldson at 3rd. He’s lost a few steps. 

Donaldson may not be running, or being run, anywhere for a while. He was pulled from yesterday's game with "hamstring tightness," and it's not clear whether he'll be available this weekend.

This could be his last season. He's 37, is in the last year of his NYY contract, was bad last year (.682 OPS) and is off to a slow start. 

This offseason I was fully on board with moving Mateo to a late inning replacement (PR, Def) to maximize his strengths and minimize his horrible OBP.  Can a leopard change his spots (me or him)?

A few SSS thoughts on Mateo:

We've talked about the K% and BB%.  The underlying change is not chasing that 1st pitch out of the zone.  Probably because the book on him is to chase.  But so far, he's not.  Hopefully that mental approach to hitting sticks throughout the year.  That's led to better pitches later in the PA.  He currently has a chase% of 21.6% compared to career 34.7%.  The league will adjust and start throwing him strikes earlier.

HH% a few ticks up, but Barrel% is up significantly.  Likely because he's getting ahead in the count.

LA has dropped significantly as well (5.2 compared to career 14.7).  For a guy with his meh career EVs (86.6) and, more importantly, speed, that's a huge advantage.  This could be a sign something has changed in his swing/swing path.  Or it could be just another SSS.  But definitely something to continue watching.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a legit improvement if he can lay off chase pitches early.

When he puts the ball in play, it's more likely going to be on the ground or a liner.  Which allows his speed to play up.  And ultimately gives him a chance to get on base with a stronger Babip.  In the past, he's (9.1%) been above league average (7.1%) in PUs and below league average in GBs. 

If he can continue the low LA and good plate discipline, then he'll continue to get on base at a good rate.

• Upvote 3

He’s been phenomenal this year. EVs are off the chart.  I love him batting 9th and the SB opps, but maybe he slowly creeps up. We’re 15 games into the season and he’s looking like an All Star. Big time credit to him. He’s put together the 5 tools. 

We love talking about Joey Ortiz. But Mateo really is the bridge to Holliday and that’s it Holliday sticks at SS. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s no Paul DeJong but I guess we’re stuck with him.

Him and Mullins are just going to put up crazy steal totals this year. They’re running so much that first base is always open and Adley’s getting pitched around. 

Mateo really might’ve tapped into his Alfonso Soriano potential. It would be bold, but when do you consider leading him off against LHP, and possibly batting 2nd versus RHP?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Him and Mullins are just going to put up crazy steal totals this year. They’re running so much that first base is always open and Adley’s getting pitched around. 

Mateo really might’ve tapped into his Alfonso Soriano potential. It would be bold, but when do you consider leading him off against LHP, and possibly batting 2nd versus RHP?

I don’t want to mess with him right now but it’s gonna have to be considered if he keeps this up.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's OK.  We know they won't extend him so he'll walk in a few years, we just need to be patient.

You are a ray of sunshine as usual.   You should be working on the suicide prevention hotline.  😁

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s been phenomenal this year. EVs are off the chart.  I love him batting 9th and the SB opps, but maybe he slowly creeps up. We’re 15 games into the season and he’s looking like an All Star. Big time credit to him. He’s put together the 5 tools. 

We love talking about Joey Ortiz. But Mateo really is the bridge to Holliday and that’s it Holliday sticks at SS. 

I definitely believe that he is the bridge to Holiday. Moving him especially if any of this is real, would be foolish in order to keep Ortiz just for a year in a half until you have to move him to make room for Holiday.

Additionally, I like the speed/stolen base/extra base aspect of his game. I know we have gotten used to not valuing those things in the last 15 years of so of baseball. But with the rule changes, it appears that those things have value again.